Cold Start

avi

Site Supporter
I was hoping I could use your help in determining if this cold start is normal. Seems to crank a few times before the engine fires. Warm start just takes one crank.

This is after a 24 to 48 hour gap between rides. The bike was purchased brand new in Nov 2020 and has about 1900 miles as of now. Temperature in SF is in the 50-60 F range.

Attached are 2 audio files of my cold starts. One is a day apart between rides and the other is 5 days apart. Are your cold starts similar?

Thanks much!

Attachments

• Cold Start One Day Apart.mp3
    310.7 KB
  • Cold Start Five Days Apart.mp3
    287.1 KB
Last edited:
I’ve had the same issue here in Chicago. I’ve chalked it up to being in the 40-50°s throughout the last 4 weeks. Hope it improves once it warms up.

Reactions: avi
I was hoping I could use your help in determining if this cold start is normal. Seems to crank a few times before the engine fires. Warm start just takes one crank.

This is after a 24 to 48 hour gap between rides. The bike was purchased brand new in Nov 2020 and has about 1900 miles as of now. Temperature in SF is in the 50-60 F range.

Attached are 2 audio files of my cold starts. One is a day apart between rides and the other is 5 days apart. Are your cold starts similar?

Thanks much!
i think its normal since its boxer..

Thanks for your responses guys. That helps! I checked with the dealer and they said this was normal. I am keeping a close eye on the bike since I did have an issue with it a couple of months ago. Though that was on a warm start. I stopped to run an errand after riding it for an hour. Upon my return, the bike wouldn't start. The engine fired once and then died. After 3 attempts, I gave it some throttle when starting it and that worked. Unfortunately it kept doing that every time I stopped on my way home. The dealer kept it for a couple of days, didn't find anything amiss, concluded it was probably bad fuel (water?) , flushed the tank and put fuel stabilizer in. I haven't had the issue since.

Back