Clutch

fernando

Site Supporter
🙋‍♂️ Excuse my mechanical ignorance but I am wondering if there is a problem keeping the clutch engaged in a gear when for example waiting the green light at an intersection. I know this is not a problem with the wet clutch from a standard motorcycle, you can stay holding the clutch lever forever and there will be no problem, but this R18 clutch is a complete different animal, so I am not sure if it is the same as with a wet clutch or it should be kept in N (Neutral) while we do not circulate. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
If you don't go to neutral there is more pressure on the slave cylinder . But I've never heard someone say that this will shorten the life of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I leave it in gear at most stops, better to move quickly if needed, try to leave room in front to steer out of line. I will usually go to N in long construction waiting lines or if a bridge is up.

I never keep it in neutral at stop lights as long as there's someone already behind me.
Even if you keep in gear with the clutch pulled, I don't think you would have the reaction time to escape anything, anyway.
Everything looks a lot brighter on paper or just talking about it. Real riding conditions are so much different and everything unfolds in a blink of an eye, so the brain doesn't have enough time to make the right decision no matter how hard and often you train yourself for those situations. Try to look the other way when you see a chair on the freeway and you're going straight at it and you'll find out out what fixating means and how unbelievably difficult it is not to look at what you try to avoid. Looking the other way, my behind... And that still happens even after years and years of training.
What I just said is based on my own experience of over forty years and multiple trips to the emergency room, and on some of my buddies I've known and ridden with many times during those years.
We're sitting ducks more or less.

Last edited:
I never keep it in neutral at stop lights as long as there's someone already behind me.
Even if you keep in gear with the clutch pulled, I don't think you would have the reaction time to escape anything, anyway.
Everything looks a lot brighter on paper or just talking about it. Real riding conditions are so much different and everything unfolds in a blink of an eye, so the brain doesn't have enough time to make the right decision no matter how hard and often you train yourself for those situations. Try to look the other way when you see a chair on the freeway and you're going straight at it and you'll find out out what fixating means and how unbelievably difficult it is not to look at what you try to avoid. Looking the other way, my behind... And that still happens even after years and years of training.
What I just said is based on my own experience of over forty years and multiple trips to the emergency room, and on some of my buddies I've known and ridden with many times during those years.
We're sitting ducks more or less.

I agree with this 100%.

Whatever mechanical wear or "damage" I might do is inconsequential to me in the face of possibly being rammed by an inattentive driver. That being said, I do live in a state where if the light doesn't change to green in the direction of travel in either two minutes or two cycles of the light, which ever is shortest, motorcycles are allowed to run the light with discretion. There aren't too many cases where I have to hold the clutch lever in for a looong periods of time.

Back