Classic Buffeting

Howdy Folks -

For me, maybe it's a body/posture-specific thing but goodness is the buffeting terrible on the Classic with the OEM windshield. Just at 600 miles - first service scheduled this week - but it shakes the eyes in my head...it's relatively dangerous. With the full face helmet closed it is passable but I don't like not having the option to open the helmet up to let some air breeze past my receding hair line.

I only ride with the windshield enough to test out the next far-fetched idea I have that may hopefully solve the issue. Otherwise, I ride without it. In nice weather, that's great but I'm anxious about not being able to use the full spectrum of the bike because of the lack windshield.

Please, please...PLEASE...someone tell me there is a workable solution.

I appreciate any advice you may have in advance. Ride safe, all!

@MonsieurNiceGuy

Appreciate you. Yeah, the reading so far has been a tad confusing as to what really helped. Not sure if it's the deflectors or the higher windshield.

I tried adding the Puig "lip" thingy but I haven't found much relief. That leads me to think a taller shield may not be the solution at all but, rather, the deflectors.

I have found that putting on the cruise...and simply resting forward onto the tank silences all noise and all buffeting. This, of course, makes me think the issue is NOT coming from underneath and that, perhaps, a higher shield WOULD be the answer. 🤣

Ugh...I just don't want to go chasing the solution and my pea brain isn't helping in diagnosing the issue!

I'll add:

Memorial Day Sale still being supported @ Long Ride Shields.

Lynx - Gold Series Acrylic Recurve Windshield - $112 for the 20" (Note the date should anyone see this post later...)

F'it. That's a cheap enough entry point for me to try...I guess we'll just throw money at it and see if it works!!!

IMO a combination of the lower deflectors and a taller windshield (depending on how tall you are) may be the solution. I am not short and I did order a taller (with the flip) windshield from 7Jurock and it helped some but not completely. Many folks here swear by the lower deflectors for the TC ... mine is not a TC (FE with a 'Classic' windshield setup and 'Apes') and I can't figure out how to create lower deflectors so it doesn't look gaudy or awkward.
I do have a friend that did make some for his V-Rod and he swears that took care of the issue for him. I think I will try to get some Polycarbonate (Lexan) and try to mimic the upper part of the Jurock and then have the lower end wider and extend around the extra driving lights ... when I get around to it I will post it in the forum .. unfortunately I am quite busy at the moment and the taller windshield in combination with only wearing a 'skid lid' helps .. just my 2¢ ;)

Buffeting will depend on your size and position on the bike relative to the screen. Shorter arms will bring you closer to the windshield, while longer ones push you further out. Your torso height will determine the position of your head vs the screen. The vortex coming off the top of the screen will hit some distance from the screen depending on speed. If you are arm reach and height match the vortex position, you get buffeting. Generally closer to the screen gets you in the clean air zone as too far back you are in turbulent air. Similarly, a taller screen moves the dirty air further up and back so it can help, but some people don’t like looking thru a screen. A curved lip can create the feeling of a taller screen.

I’m 6’4” with fairly long arms, so depending on your size, your experience may be different. I had the MRA lip that added about 4 inches of length on my Classic with a slight forward tilt & that helped eliminated the buffeting for me and more importantly, took some cold air off for winter riding. I switched to the tall screen from 7Jurock with a forward tilt like Ulrich that is the same height/tilt as I had with the MRA lip. I can now use the MRA lip on my GSA for winter use. I only have my screen on my Classic in winter or if I’ll be stuck on a highway for a long ride. With the screen removed, there is no buffeting at all for me & I get better airflow especially in hot weather, so since I mostly ride backroads as I like turns, that is my typical summer riding config. But once the temps go below 45-50F I put the screen back on.

Since you mention when you rested on the tank it got better, this did two things, it moved you closer to the screen and probably lowered the effective height of your head. You can try adjusting the handlebars to bring you closer to the screen & see if that helps as it would create a similar position.

Nothing will work for everyone out of the box. Cars have adjustments for the seat & often the steering wheel to adapt to different body shapes/sizes. Convertibles have similar buffeting issues that the seat adjustments can help address. Every bike also may need a bit of tweaking to your ergonomics.

The R18 Classic gave me the worst buffeting on the highway of any motorcycle I've experienced. It was so bad I went back to the dealer on my test ride and removed the windshield and re-did the test ride and it was way, way better.
As far as a solution it's really up to your height and your riding stance. What works for rider A, B or C might not be the right fit for you. I went with a base model R18 and haven't messed with a windshield on it so I can't even tell you what works for me.

My sweetie has a Triumph Bobber and has tried two different windscreens at a variety of positions and angles and went back to riding without, because there wasn't a single permutation that didn't give her head buffeting that was worse than no windshield at all. However, she had a Puig windshield on her old Kawi and it made her riding experience much more pleasant. It's such a personal thing and it really comes down to trial and error, which can be expensive.

Good luck!

Follow up!

Got the Long Ride Shields, 20" (golly is that thing BIG) installed and took the bike for a trip to its first service...

No such luck; buffeting still prevalent. Will continue to seek out new ideas and alternatives...

Thems are the ways, sometimes.

@Poco23
Noted. Appreciate the suggestion. That, too, was my first attempt to solve the issue. I did not have as much luck as you, unfortunately.

Gonna try the wind deflectors. Wish they were quick release, though.

Was also thinking about adding a vent to one of the two windshields I now have. 🤔

@Poco23
Noted. Appreciate the suggestion. That, too, was my first attempt to solve the issue. I did not have as much luck as you, unfortunately.

Gonna try the wind deflectors. Wish they were quick release, though.

Was also thinking about adding a vent to one of the two windshields I now have. 🤔
Have you tried adjusting the handlebars? Moving a couple inches forward or back may be enough to make the difference.

@nielsm
I did; rolled them "up" away from me hoping to get a bit closer to, potentially, the cleaner air. I bought some risers (though, on this bike, they're more like pull back'ers, if you know what I mean) but I haven't installed them. Thinking step by step here, my trial runs of being further back didn't warrant an immediate need to install them since it didn't seem to reduce the buffeting issue.

Strangely, @mkondratov suggested the Shoei helmet. Although I don't have the 1400 handy I DID have my old 1100 (or 1200, I forget which model) and it did make some difference. I'm convinced it's a solvable problem; just need to be patient and open to solutions.

Back