Chicago area R18C

I purchased a motorcycle in February which is something I never thought I would do. The incentive deals BMW give right now for the 2021 R18 motorcycles are incredible so I told my wife I was forced to trade in my cycle to buy this new one. Now I must endure torture while waiting for warm weather and less salty roads. Luckily I can sit on my new R18 Classic in my garage and imagine all the roads I will travel soon enough.

welcome, i'm certain the bike will fit the bill when warmer weather comes. mine never ceases to satisfy. enjoy!

I purchased a motorcycle in February which is something I never thought I would do. The incentive deals BMW give right now for the 2021 R18 motorcycles are incredible so I told my wife I was forced to trade in my cycle to buy this new one. Now I must endure torture while waiting for warm weather and less salty roads. Luckily I can sit on my new R18 Classic in my garage and imagine all the roads I will travel soon enough.
Dude, I live north of Chicago, near the WI border. I bought a new Classic in early January...and it's been out of my garage once for a 9 mile ride. It sux arse!

It will be worth the wait. I too couldn't pass on the dealer's demo price and the BMW incentives. We (wife of 30 years) haven't bought a new vehicle since before we were married. Even my motorcycles were gently used. As I'm retiring at the end of March, I gave myself a retirement gift. The Classic is a phenomenal ride. Not for everyone but in a class by itself. Congratulations. Enjoy every mile. (y)

Looking at the *ucking 10 day forecast, cold and and snow showers through the 18th of March. God it is AWFUL living here. I hate living here.... Oh well, could be worst like living in Ukraine...

I think there is a bunch of us in the same camp :)

I picked mine up Christmas eve, has done a total of 15 miles (the trip home from the dealer that day) since then.

Won't be much longer to wait.....

My rule of thumb for the Chicagoland area is riding season (for me) starts around March 15th. That of course has a lot of variance since some years late March can be warm enough but rainy or too cold in the mornings but warm enough in the afternoons, etc. I will typically ride if it's 40 degrees or warmer and at 40 degrees you need pants under your pants. The best part is this BMW came with heated handgrips which I never had before. Eager to test them out.

My rule of thumb for the Chicagoland area is riding season (for me) starts around March 15th. That of course has a lot of variance since some years late March can be warm enough but rainy or too cold in the mornings but warm enough in the afternoons, etc. I will typically ride if it's 40 degrees or warmer and at 40 degrees you need pants under your pants. The best part is this BMW came with heated handgrips which I never had before. Eager to test them out.
I’ve ridden my Classic down to 20F. While the screen and heated grips helped, after an hour I was eager to get home. No problem 30F and above for all day riding. The challenge is we’ve had a lot more freezing rain this winter in the Northeast, so ice on the roads and that’s when I won’t ride.

I too bought one in January. I was looking for something different than my H-Ds, which I love, when I stumbled into the dealer in St. Louis. The deal was too good to pass up and here I sit, like most of you, with a list of back ordered parts and an itch to hit the road.

Attachments

• ACE26F35-E258-4C03-843A-13AAB430C44C.jpeg
    ACE26F35-E258-4C03-843A-13AAB430C44C.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 15
Welcome Kanzig! Just remember to crack the garage door a bit when you get the urge to start her up but then can't resist sitting there revving the engine and adjusting the mirrors for way, way too long.

And the shit continues. Warm this week, but salty ass roads, then again the only precip in forecast is late next week, rain and snow meaning more salt. I fing hate living here so hard core.

It isn’t any better here in central Kentucky at the moment either. Butt cold, salty roads and gray skies!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
Back