Change Language on Maps in Navigation

I've searched but have been unable to find out how to change the language on the maps in the TFT navigation section. I've downloaded the maps for my region (Thailand) and the maps are all in Thai language. Is there a way to change the language on these maps? TIA..

Maps are powered by the BMW app. In the Map Settings you can set under 'Map Labels' if you want to use the language set on the phone or the language of the 'current country'. You may want to experiment with that. But note, I would highly recommend to not use the navigation that BMW chose to provide. For some unfathomable reason they went with their own solution and the roads/labels are impossibly small to to follow and provide no depth of information as to traffic situations / turns and anything you might be looking for. Also, any call, message, email ping, or whatever will cause your map to vanish, usually at some critical moment. BMW's version of the navigation is downright dangerous to use. It is very 'busy' in effort, forces to take your eyes of the road, and is highly unstable causing more distraction. Use the nav on your phone and closer to eye-level so you can keep your situational awareness as you get your directions.

Hence, I would recommend to ignore the map function and use your phone on a mount. (The phone holder in the tank is also a waste of effort.... good for holding rolls of mentos but nothing else. For one, iphones (the ones we actually use, Pro Max - what, is there anybody that buys this kind of bike and does not get the most capable iPhone available??) do not fit. Secondly, every time you stop you need to remove your phone to get an update on what happened in your life the last two hours. BMW, nice ideas, but remove phone charger and just install Apple or Google's carplay platform PLEASE!

Attachments

• 508146E4-B7E6-49AD-9B4D-5B199D209B39.PNG
    508146E4-B7E6-49AD-9B4D-5B199D209B39.PNG
    439.5 KB · Views: 2
Maps are powered by the BMW app. In the Map Settings you can set under 'Map Labels' if you want to use the language set on the phone or the language of the 'current country'. You may want to experiment with that. But note, I would highly recommend to not use the navigation that BMW chose to provide. For some unfathomable reason they went with their own solution and the roads/labels are impossibly small to to follow and provide no depth of information as to traffic situations / turns and anything you might be looking for. Also, any call, message, email ping, or whatever will cause your map to vanish, usually at some critical moment. BMW's version of the navigation is downright dangerous to use. It is very 'busy' in effort, forces to take your eyes of the road, and is highly unstable causing more distraction. Use the nav on your phone and closer to eye-level so you can keep your situational awareness as you get your directions.

Hence, I would recommend to ignore the map function and use your phone on a mount. (The phone holder in the tank is also a waste of effort.... good for holding rolls of mentos but nothing else. For one, iphones (the ones we actually use, Pro Max - what, is there anybody that buys this kind of bike and does not get the most capable iPhone available??) do not fit. Secondly, every time you stop you need to remove your phone to get an update on what happened in your life the last two hours. BMW, nice ideas, but remove phone charger and just install Apple or Google's carplay platform PLEASE!
Hi,
Thanks a lot for the efforts you put into your detailed response. I've toyed with the map labels setting but the map information remained in Thai language in either setting. My phone is set to English, but it makes no difference. Will try it again with some other language combinations on my phone. Obviously I'm trying to get away from putting another Quad Lock, or similar holding device on my handlebars, but will do if necessary. That's what I have on my Harley.
As for the functionality of the BMW navigation, even the dealer suggested I should use google maps on my phone (and no, I DO NOT use iPhones LOL). I have no issue with buying another smaller phone to put in the BMW cubby, but so far have been putting my "Ultra" in my jacket pocket because I haven't needed the navigation functions during the short time I've owned my Transcontinental. Planning a trip next week, so then it will be a different story.
As for the level of detail on the BMW downloaded maps, from what I've seen so far, I tend to agree with you. The level is abysmal. Even the streets in my subdivision aren't in the maps. I'm guessing that perhaps BMW bought the downloadable maps some time ago, so not everything is up to date. Certainly as downloaded maps, there cannot be any real time updating of traffic density, etc. This isn't practical to say the least.
Like you, I hope BMW is monitoring conversations such as ours and does something to improve the system. Yes CarPlay or Android Auto would be great, however, Android Auto doesn't support motorcycles any more for some reason. Apple CarPlay does. Heck, if BMW's system supported CarPlay I would buy a small iPhone to be kept in the BMW cubby (but never in my pocket).
All of this seems like such a shame. The R18 10.25 TFT is beautiful and larger than any phone. It seems to fail in so many ways.

Back