Ceramic coating

motoring

I was born too late. Got one quote of $800, thinking for a 8 year warranty...how that would works I have not a clue. And $600 by same person for a six year warranty.
Has anyone that does not do this for a living tried to ceramic coat their R18 yet? If so...
1. How did it come out?
2. What did it cost for the ceramic coat liquid and brand recommended.
3. What did you learn from doing it? Not bad, never again or did not come out good.

My bike is new and next to no miles on it so figure now is the time if I am to try to do it myself. Thinking one puts it on the chrome as well. Guess I am old cause I find it hard to justify the cost shops what to charge to do an R18 bike.

It has been 2 years since I researched it so my memory is fuzzy. Also, my experience with it on my bike is not a pure ceramic coating experience as I had protection film done as well.

All I'll say for now is that it was expensive but well worth it for me. If no one offers up anecdotes of just doing ceramic coating, I can share my experience.

It depends what you’re trying to achieve? Paint protection film would be a better investment IMO. Also not cheap, but actually protects the paint from chips and scratches which ceramic coating won’t do. Ceramic coatings do make the paint easier to maintain though.

I've considered having the front fairing, the leading edge of the front fender and the leading edges of the two rear cases of my Model B wrapped; I'm looking to protect the paint from rock chips & etc...

Not sure if anyone has already wrapped their bike, and/or priced it out... I wrapped the hood of my AIRSTREAM Interstate a few years back (Mercedes Sprinter 3500); I've convinced myself that i should pay a professional to do this in the future... :)

It's super easy to do yourself especially on a motorcycle. I got some Coating from chemical bros and applied after a through cleaning and clay bar. Took maybe an hour tops and the results are quite good. The water beads off quick and bugs dirt grime wipe right away. Total cost was maybe $50

I did mine using the products I got from a friend’s detail shop. I did it when the bike was new and it came out perfect.
Works great keeps no the black finish dirt and scuff free.

One of my very best friends who is also a neighbor owns a detail shop and does a lot of ceramic coating on a lot of expensive cars. He swears that the stuff works well and advised me to do it on my TC. The actual materials aren't very expensive but it is labor intensive. I did the film wrap on my K1600 and it looked good for a while but after a couple of years had to be taken off.

One of my very best friends who is also a neighbor owns a detail shop and does a lot of ceramic coating on a lot of expensive cars. He swears that the stuff works well and advised me to do it on my TC. The actual materials aren't very expensive but it is labor intensive. I did the film wrap on my K1600 and it looked good for a while but after a couple of years had to be taken off.
What brand of protective film did you use on the K1600?

So business idea...
3D scanning of objects to then have a machine create 3M film pieces. Bingo, perfect fit every time :)
They do it, the 3D scanning, it seems of art pieces in museums from what have heard.

I had thought, some many years back...say after 1976 or so car manufacturers had to switch to earth friendly paint process which made paint finishes much less durable and subject to a heck of a lot more paint chips. Don't know if bike manufactures likewise had to do the same.

Back