Can't find air filter for R18

R18 100

While trailering bike back from 200 mile dealer 1st service, I got caught in a downpour. The sky opened, could hardly see highway. This is only the second time its happened in decades. The first time my air filter was saturated with water like a wet rag.
Problem: I can't find the air filter on Max BMW parts fiche, and second, where is this thing hidden on the R18? It is not under the seat.
Thanks to anyone.

Oops, I think I just found the part number: 13718411061. But don't know where it is on the bike.

The air filter on a 2002 Honda Shadow 1100cc is under the seat. It became saturated while highway driving during a downpour. Was surprised given how protected the filter was with me on the seat.
It occurred to me the same thing happened to the R18. Maybe not.

One like to think that the design is tested for such eventualities. The vents on the front cover are slightly below the concertina snorkel that feeds the air pipe by the looks of things and this could have been the reason behind such design. Were you travelling at considerable speed whilst in the downpour? The only thing I could think of is excessive rain and the air pressure forcing the incoming rain up to the snorkel and straight into the filter housing.
I have never dismantled mine, I am only guessing this could have been the cause behind the water ingress.

While trailering bike back from 200 mile dealer 1st service, I got caught in a downpour. The sky opened, could hardly see highway. This is only the second time its happened in decades. The first time my air filter was saturated with water like a wet rag.
Problem: I can't find the air filter on Max BMW parts fiche, and second, where is this thing hidden on the R18? It is not under the seat.
Thanks to anyone.

Oops, I think I just found the part number: 13718411061. But don't know where it is on the bike.

AGAIN... If only the site had a search function... Oh wait...

Back