Broken Seat Screws

cabanza

I have a 2022 R18 Classic that came with the Option 719 seats. I do not know if the seats came installed at the factory or if the dealer swapped them. I bought the Wunderlich seats. I received them today and tried to install them. One of the screws that hold the leather strap broke when I unscrewed it. I tried a set of pliers to loosen it but it didn't work. It is stuck for sure. I was going to out the back screw that hold the passenger seat but in less than a turn, I could tell the screw was not going to go in. I think the gasket is stripped. I am going to have to take the bike to the dealer. I am not sure I can claim warranty on it but I am going to try. Has anyone else had problems with screws?

I was able to put the rider's seat in but you can see the broken bolt in the picture.

FihyvyqWIAAv1eB

Yikes. It looks like there's thread locker in there. The red stuff. Permanent? Strong enough to rip the bolt head off anyhow. Heat won't help. Solvent maybe? Might also try to clamp a vise-grip onto it. Worst case is that it sheers flush and needs to be drilled out. Ugh. I'd take it in.
I recall a member having a hell of a time with one of the loctite'd foot peg bolts. Took a breaker bar to remove. And that bolt didn't snap whilst removing it. This is the first I've seen of this particular problem. We'll call it Cabanza's Disease. Congratulations?
Joking aside, my hunch is that someone (dealership) used the high strength/permanent loctite when the instructions called for medium strength blue stuff or maybe even no loctite at all.
Good luck!

I am going to take it in this week. I'll need to replace the screw and possibly more. One screw is about $7. Kinda expensive for breaking this easily. I'll update.

I've bought a bunch of stainless metric torx fasteners here
belmetric.com

just fyi.

If/when the dealership extricates the broken bolt, man, I guess just be happy that you're not looking at replacing the rear fender because someone applied too much goo to the bolts. But

Maybe try using a Dremel tool in order to cut a slot into the sheered surface, and then attack it with a standard screwdriver?

I like the vice thought mentioned earlier, or perhaps drilling it out and tapping it with a dye set.

I've bought a bunch of stainless metric torx fasteners here
belmetric.com

just fyi.

If/when the dealership extricates the broken bolt, man, I guess just be happy that you're not looking at replacing the rear fender because someone applied too much goo to the bolts. But
Why would I have to replace the fender? It can't be a single piece.

Back