BMW Connected App

petenj

Site Supporter
I have a simple question, When will BMW finally fix their connected app? I have tried everything on these forums to make it work, and it does until it doesn’t- with no warning at All. No one should have to go through the ridiculous amount of steps to make something work as advertised. BMW cannot be oblivious to the complete failure that this app has rained down upon us. At least give us the option to go with CarPlay or Android auto. I think I read someone else’s comment that if this is how their tech in their cars worked, they would be out of business. Dealer will not/cannot help- they have no fricking idea how to solve…

Just got back from a ride and I needed to vent- my phone will not even reconnect at all to my r18b, disconnected in the middle of my ride for no apparent reason.

Is this the first time, or has this happened several times; I've had good luck, but admittedly I came up with a bit of a routine before starting my ride?

Android Pixel-7 (turn On "Do Not Disturb")
1.Start my music (Prime or YT music); music is downloaded vs streaming
2. Start Connect App
3. Start the bike
4. TFT menu - start music and then start navigation, where I get the full map screen

Scott

I have a similar routine only with an Apple phone. It has been randomley disconecting since I bought my bike last spring. I appreciate your suggestions, I am just very frustrated, because if it worked well, it would be the best tech out there along with what I think are the best bikes out there.

I have found a specific spot where I lose the Map Image and get the basic text Street Name or Road that I'm riding on; this disconnect event happens every single time I ride on Rt-17 in NJ within a specific 100 yard stretch of highway as one example. I'm sure it is RF co-channel interference (same radio frequency) within the Wi-Fi link between my phone and the TFT system. The navigation map function always seems to restore itself automatically, and I don't see the problem for the entire rest of the ride; unless we return back home in the opposite direction on RT-17... where I'll see the disconnect issue again in the same 100 yard stretch of roadway.

I'm sure we can all share experiences where the connection between our phone and our cars sometimes gets a little wonky.. I periodically restart my phone when my Tesla stops responding to my phone as intuitively as it normally should; especially since my phone is basically my car key... and I'll go as far as saying, I've restarted the Tesla app on the car twice over a three year period.

I'm not sure why BMW relied so heavily on a wireless link between phone and their TFT system; especially since they provide a USB-C connector for charging the phone, BMW could have easily provided data functionality via that USB connection point. If you pull out the phone cradle on the B or TC, you'll see it's just 12V DC for charging and running the cooling fan on the cradle.

One day I'll pull out a spectrum analyzer and dig into the problem, just to be certain as to what is going on; for now, it happens so infrequently, I'll just roll with it..

For what it’s worth, I am an Apple user, and I bought a used Samsung to see if Android would be more stable, and it wasn’t. It connected quicker, but it disconnected just as often. The Samsung was WiFi only, no cell service, used only for the BMW app.

BMW can’t even update the app without breaking it - see the current issue in the US where the speed limit is displayed in kph after an update. The tech support for this bike is a HUGE disappointment.

Mine works till someone calls me.. then I have to stop, shut down the bike and restart, reconnect, start music etc.

I am to the point where I run my iphone in the back luggage bag with a power adapter. Having tp leave the phone screen on is part of the problem - a call comes in and the phone jumps to call, but not back to app.

Miserable experience.

oddly enough mine always disconnect when im at the dealer, and refuses to reconnect no matter what. I have yet been able to use the navigation on the app, or through TFT.

Sometimes i think i should'nt have walked out that Indian dealer so swiftly

oddly enough mine always disconnect when im at the dealer, and refuses to reconnect no matter what. I have yet been able to use the navigation on the app, or through TFT.

Sometimes i think i should'nt have walked out that Indian dealer so swiftly
i just sold my Indian hope that’s not the case

Well the new thing, (and I've only owned the bike since 11/25) the app kicks me out and won't except my saved password. So every week I have to create a new password.
That is a disappointment did you bring it to the dealer & do you know if other forum members also had an issue the app.?????

I see there's a pretty recent update to the app on November 27, 2023 (Ver. 5.1.1); I'll have to keep an eye out for any new bugs and or issues if I sneak out for a 2024 maiden ride today..

I don't think I've ridden the bike since the new update has been applied...

I have gave up on running the app. When everything is connected( and Bluetooth helmet ). It just drains my iPhone. I can’t make it through the day riding without stopping and charging it

I am sorry to hear you are having troubles connecting to the app. I cannot tell where the issue is at your end as I have never experienced what you are experiencing. Have you tried reporting the I ssue via the app directly?
I did once when I was trying to book my breaking in service and I received a reply within the week.

Attached is how I have my app provisioned; basically everything is enabled. Also, I have my phone Do Not Disturb enabled and allow the Connect app and music app run in the background; I also have a pretty good experience with using the system.

Screenshot_20240101-175706.png

Attached is how I have my app provisioned; basically everything is enabled. Also, I have my phone Do Not Disturb enabled and allow the Connect app and music app run in the background; I also have a pretty good experience with using the system.

View attachment 12737
These are the only options I have for permissions. Android app seems to have more options(the last 2)

Attachments

• IMG_2410.png
    IMG_2410.png
    506.9 KB · Views: 7
Back