Bmw breakdown assistance UK…NOT

I can’t speak about smoke in the LHS because mine doesn’t do it but I have read since getting it in the summer (from old BMW sweats) that all Boxers can do this
If all Boxers can do that why didn't BMW just simply dismiss the claims that the bike likes to smoke cigars out of its left pipe?
Instead of doing that BMW redesigned the piston and the rings which in turn cured the problem. It was a design flaw.
I had that problem with my 2021 FE.

Reactions: Alf
Hi Eddie,
No problem. I was just trying to add a different (more positive) perspective because you seem quite down about your purchase. I fully appreciate how stressful it can be getting stranded and yes it does go through my mind too. I have had BMW’s in the past myself (4 not including my R18) and owning them was positive. Alf’s had a bit of a mare with his but many don’t, that’s all I was saying, it’s upto you what you want to do.
Thank you again Rufus , I'm afraid i was looking at it the wrong way and apologise , now realise what your true thoughts were .
Thanks again
Eddie

Hi, as you're in the UK, I can heartily recommend Cental Wheel Components in Coleshill for doing a tubeless conversion on spoked wheels (on my Triumph). Rather than send my wheels, I left the bike there for a week while the work was done (curing time is required for their process).
There is also 3M and Outex tape for DIY'ers.
Beemer boy , very sorry for not responding quicker, Thought i had done so, until i re read your your post , I came back to your post as I now have the bike and shop told me Tubeless, I have since found that the mitchelin commander 3 can be either tubed or tubeless!
So i have asked the shop to confirm which i have and poss use central wheel depemding on outcome ?
Thanks again.......Eddie
Hi, as you're in the UK, I can heartily recommend Cental Wheel Components in Coleshill for doing a tubeless conversion on spoked wheels (on my Triumph). Rather than send my wheels, I left the bike there for a week while the work was done (curing time is required for their process).
There is also 3M and Outex tape for DIY'ers.

Picked up my R18 FE last Friday (24/3) - went out for a ride Sunday and, hey presto, a nail in the rear tyre. Not great in c. 40 miles of ownership. Managed to limp to a Halfords and bought a foot pump to get me home

BMW dealership response has been poor. Phoned them first thing yesterday and today (Tiesday) they finally got back to me with the news that the Bridgestone Battle Cruise 180/65 16 fitted as OE is unavailable - they offered me a Michelin Scorcher, which as far as I’m aware is a Harley branded item.

Reluctant to mix brands front / rear and definitely don’t want a Harley branded tyre on a BMW.

I can get my local independent motorcycle shop to fit Cobra Chromes for example tomorrow but am reluctant to have them work on such an unusual beast (although I used them on my R1150 GS for tyres previously).

Bitterly dissatisfied so far with the response from the dealer.

Any thoughts?

Hi DavidC, make an appointment to speak with the Bmw dealer principle from dealer you purchased your bike. Explain you feel completely disappointed with the service provided by Bmw thus far!
I have had several “issues” with my R18FE, some serious shxt at that. I experienced poor customer service from the supplying dealer and told them I would return the bike back to them…..After I had gone above the service departments head and spoke with the dealer principle, normal service was resumed!
It was only after this intervention did I once again feel a valued Bmw customer. ( NB: I have used the same dealer for over 25 years and had numerous Bmw motorcycles from them)

Thanks for the tip Alf - I’ll probably try this if I don’t get a response from them by mod afternoon.

This is my third bike from this dealer in 12 years.

Its worth a go DavidC, the principle does not want an unhappy punter…especially if that punter goes direct to Bmw to complain!
Good luck, I hope you get sorted…very soon. :)

Picked up my R18 FE last Friday (24/3) - went out for a ride Sunday and, hey presto, a nail in the rear tyre. Not great in c. 40 miles of ownership. Managed to limp to a Halfords and bought a foot pump to get me home

BMW dealership response has been poor. Phoned them first thing yesterday and today (Tiesday) they finally got back to me with the news that the Bridgestone Battle Cruise 180/65 16 fitted as OE is unavailable - they offered me a Michelin Scorcher, which as far as I’m aware is a Harley branded item.

Reluctant to mix brands front / rear and definitely don’t want a Harley branded tyre on a BMW.

I can get my local independent motorcycle shop to fit Cobra Chromes for example tomorrow but am reluctant to have them work on such an unusual beast (although I used them on my R1150 GS for tyres previously).

Bitterly dissatisfied so far with the response from the dealer.

Any thoughts?
Is the tyre that badly damaged? Have you ruled out a new inner tube? If you know you need a new tyre I’d try and get one yourself online. You’ll try a lot harder than some dis-interested service guy. Just had a quick look online for you and Dennis Winter Tyres website says they have them in stock, £268 inc free delivery.

Last edited:
Back