Blowing Smoke -Left Exhaust

RHX

Site Supporter
Hi,
Today, when I first started the engine, I noticed that the left exhaust was blowing smoke. It started quite intensely and after 5 minutes the smoke was completely gone. I used it for 4 days in a row including today, so it was not a situation that happened because I did not run it for a long time. I think that oil accumulated on the left piston as a result of the engine being inclined to the left side while parked and that it returned to normal as a result of combustion. Did you have any experience or information on this subject. Should I worry for future problems take precautions or It is just a thing that occurs in boxer engines.

p.s. Since I used the motorcycle sparsly, I only had it serviced once and that was the 1000 km maintenance.

Odometer: 1480 km
Model Year: 2021

I have never experienced that however a friend of mine who used to have a boxer engine a few years ago told me that they have this tendency from time to time and the secret was after every ride to keep the bike running at idle for about 20 seconds on the upright position, then switch the engine off and park it normally on the side stand. I remembered that when I bought mine and have been doing that ritual ever since.
I don’t recall the exact issue but it was something to do with the pistons rings or other stuff. That was an old bike and that was a long time ago.

You answered your own question. Also, you may have an overfilled oil situation. Store your bike on a wheel chock that will keep it straight upright then you shouldn't have that oil pooling problem into the left cylinder.

Yes, I think it's about the engine tilting to the left when parked. As you said, it would be healthier to turn it off by waiting a little at idle. Also I can buy a stand to keep the engine upright. Thank you for your help.

My 'ChromeHead' did the same thing ... there the cure was ... letting it run @30 seconds before shutting it off when I got to where I needed to go made that smoke on startup go away ... maybe that helps ..

Reactions: RHX
Take a video of your bike smoking from the pipe on the left side.
Contact somebody at your local dealership and attach the video to an email or a text message.,
Ask them to correct the problem. There are some components that were redesigned because of that.
I had the same problem last year and my dealer took care of it under the warranty.
Expect some delays in getting the parts from Germany. It took my dealership five weeks to get the parts needed for the repair.

Last edited:
My 'ChromeHead' did the same thing ... there the cure was ... letting it run @30 seconds before shutting it off when I got to where I needed to go made that smoke on startup go away ... maybe that helps ..
You're not supposed to spend thirty seconds of your precious time idling the bike before you shut it off. That is not the solution to the problem.
Please, don't expect me to tell you how I came to that understanding.

Actually you are right, at least informing the dealer would be useful. But the smoke incident happened only once and it was fixed when I did as Ulrich said. When I did some research on the internet, I learned that oil can leak from the crankcase in boxer engines. Maybe the piston tabs can be checked. My engine is a 2021 model, so the 2-year unlimited warranty has expired, but as far as I remember, there is another 5-year warranty coverage.

You're not supposed to spend thirty seconds of your precious time idling the bike before you shut it off. That is not the solution to the problem.
Please, don't expect me to tell you how I came to that understanding.
Oh do tell ... I speak from experience .. do you?

I spend <3 minutes attaching my Kern-Stabi X518 lift to keep my bike vertical and taking up less room when in the garage. Doing so I can also rotate and inspect the tires. I do this as a routine, nothing to do with left leaning or smoking or otherwise. My ancient old boxer had a center stand....which developed my routine and may/may not have anything to do with a left smoking engine. I do know smoking is dangerous to your health!

I never had this issue with my R18.
But since I had it from time to time on my Montauk I started to park it on a stand, so verticaly.
And another stand came with the R18

I'd mention it to the shop and double check on your warranty coverage (and as each Country is different I'm not able to comment on your options).

Even though you are very low miles into the oil change (and I hate to "waste oil") it wouldn't hurt to do an "Annual" service on her and grab a sample of drain oil and have it analyzed ( link.. Oil Analysis Kit ),for very little cost and great peace of mind.

The common oil smoke issue on startup with the older engines was related to the pistons needing lands added in the grooves to prevent the rings from aligning in a way that created a ring gap alignment where oil could "easily" get by. Another issue was addressed by a redesign of the crankcase that prevented the routine "my cup runneth over" syndrome when parked on the side stand.

Anecdotally, I'm at 18Ks and stretch her legs routinely and have never seen any smoke to date. While pondering my habits, I do shut her down while upright and double check the ground is solid and the stand is down, etc., but this is likely less than 10 seconds. I travel alot and do not use nor have access to an upright wheel chock (only bike jack for when I work on her).

Anyway, The only nagging thought on your situation is that you had been riding several days and this all of a sudden occured and then stopped with the only change being your turning her off when upright. "Leaks" in general don't fix themselves so I would now try to replicate the previous scenario to see if you once again get oil smoke and if so try the "cure" again. Make sure you are not overful and are checking your oil level properly. Was there any possibility where you parked someone may have tampered with your bike?, e.g., a little something poured into the exhaust?

I have never experienced that however a friend of mine who used to have a boxer engine a few years ago told me that they have this tendency from time to time and the secret was after every ride to keep the bike running at idle for about 20 seconds on the upright position, then switch the engine off and park it normally on the side stand. I remembered that when I bought mine and have been doing that ritual ever since.
I don’t recall the exact issue but it was something to do with the pistons rings or other stuff. That was an old bike and that was a long time ago.
+1. I’ve had four boxers now and do the same sort of routine without even thinking about it.

Boxer engines are know to have this happen. I’m not saying that there isnt a problem with your engine.
This is not just a "boxer engine". It is the most reliable, extraordinary tractor boxer engine ever built.
They surveyed most of the moto power plants and the engine found in the R18 lineup came on top for reliability, and it's expected to run forever... so to speak.
I don't think it would be as highly regarded as it is if the owner would have to go to that stupid thirty seconds routine before shutting it off.
I think I remember now. BMW redesigned the left side piston along with the rings and a few other little things that escape my memory right now.
Having had the problem I can tell you that nobody at BMW expected me to lean the bike to the right for thirty seconds before turning off the engine. They just did the work and replaced what was supposed to be replaced, and I have not had any problems ever since.
So please, don't insult my confidence in German engineering.

Oh do tell ... I speak from experience .. do you?
Oh no, I just dreamt about this scenario and being the impulsive attention seeker that I am, I decided to speak out of my arse for a few minutes.
Did you read the whole thread? I feel like you didn't, based solely on the idiotic question you asked me. If I had a personal experience?
I described the problem I had with my 2021 FE, and the course of action I chose to correct the problem.
17 of my 42 bikes have been Beemers, and 13 of the 17 have been the R series models. I love the boxer engines.
Do I look credible to you now?

This is not just a "boxer engine". It is the most reliable, extraordinary tractor boxer engine ever built.
They surveyed most of the moto power plants and the engine found in the R18 lineup came on top for reliability, and it's expected to run forever... so to speak.
I don't think it would be as highly regarded as it is if the owner would have to go to that stupid thirty seconds routine before shutting it off.
I think I remember now. BMW redesigned the left side piston along with the rings and a few other little things that escape my memory right now.
Having had the problem I can tell you that nobody at BMW expected me to lean the bike to the right for thirty seconds before turning off the engine. They just did the work and replaced what was supposed to be replaced, and I have not had any problems ever since.
R
Who’s blowing smoke now?

Proof is in the boxer engines' unsurpassed durability....from Piper and Cessna engines for the past almost 90 years, to the VW Beetle, Porsche, Subaru, European tractors, and many more examples. O.k then let's not forget our BMW boxers since the 1920's! And not to forget my Great Lakes biplane history from the 30's......

Back