Bag protection bars - are there any other manufacturers other than Wunderlich?

I search for a while when I was looking for case protector bars; I tried Touratech and came up empty handed... BMW dealer actually recommended the Wunderlich company; they mentioned that Wunderlich and Touratech both make high quality parts - but currently Wunderlich is the only game in town for the R18 B model that I know of.

I haven't actually tried to purposely lay my bike on its side, in order to test and try to lift it back up as of yet (it's still too new for me); that would be a great video for Wunderlich to put on their website.

I haven't actually tried to purposely lay my bike on its side, in order to test and try to lift it back up as of yet (it's still too new for me); that would be a great video for Wunderlich to put on their website.
😆 same here. In fact, I think I'd cry a little if I laid my bike over. Unlike Yammie Noob, I'm not about the "Layin' er down" life he likes to poke fun about in his videos.

But I have seen photos of scraped up R18 saddlebags, so I know that protection bars are 100% needed for peace of mind.

Mike

Alright...(pointless grumbling...) I'll go ahead and order the Wunderlich bars.

...F🤬🤬K!!! They're out of the chrome set!

I gave them my email address. Hopefully they'll make more before too long. I'm finally ready for my 600 mile service.

Mike

I wouldn’t hold your breath, the Wunderlich R18B backrest has been
“Not in stock, we have more coming soon!
Place an order to reserve.” since at least March.

I have purchased the Wunderlich bag guards. Will be installing this weekend,
Any tips or problems I should know about?
Super easy install, my son helped me by holding the side cases, so I didn't have to remove the cases completely (electrical wiring). You'll see, nice product and well designed. Invest in a quality Torx socket set, a torque wrench or maybe two of different length sizes (Medium & Small) and thread lock (Blue); attached is the installation manual for the Model B & TC to look through prior to receiving them via delivery. I put an outdoor carpet on the driveway and then rolled my bike onto the center of the carpet; this allowed me to lay comfortably on my side in order access the rear torx bolts located underneath the cases. The whole job, which included unboxing the nicely packed parts was under 2hrs.

Attachments

• Case Protection Bar Installation Manual 18120000-002.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Alright...(pointless grumbling...) I'll go ahead and order the Wunderlich bars.

...F🤬🤬K!!! They're out of the chrome set!

I gave them my email address. Hopefully they'll make more before too long. I'm finally ready for my 600 mile service.

Mike
Keep checking their site from time to time; I went through the same thing - day 3 the chrome finished sets became available...

Hey Keehn,
Wunderlich told me they were out of the protection bars, but less that a week later I got an email stating a pallet of them arrived. I jumped on it. My guess is they will have stock soon.
(the bars look great although I just noticed they are not in the now obsolete pic)

Super easy install, my son helped me by holding the side cases, so I didn't have to remove the cases completely (electrical wiring). You'll see, nice product and well designed. Invest in a quality Torx socket set, a torque wrench or maybe two of different length sizes (Medium & Small) and thread lock (Blue); attached is the installation manual for the Model B & TC to look through prior to receiving them via delivery. I put an outdoor carpet on the driveway and then rolled my bike onto the center of the carpet; this allowed me to lay comfortably on my side in order access the rear torx bolts located underneath the cases. The whole job, which included unboxing the nicely packed parts was under 2hrs.

Thank you. Sounds like I'll be able to ride the same day.

A few minutes ago, I decided to give Wunderlich's website a look to see if they updated their chrome protection bar stock yet, and I saw this:

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 16.04.30 .png

🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 $749.95?!?!?!?!?!?!?

But, the black bars are still the SAME PRICE as before:
Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 16.06.25 .png
If ANY, I repeat, ANY other competitor were making protection bars for our bikes, I would have IMMEDIATELY gone to their site and bought from them!

However, seeing as Wunderlich has a monopoly at the moment, I went ahead and bought a set of the black bars. I'll figure out if I can strip off the black (powder coat or paint) and find a local chrome shop that can complete the job for less than the $150 premium that Wunderlich suddenly feels the chrome is now worth...

Or, I'll get some Cerakote and do the d🤬🤬m job myself!

Not happy with the lack of competition in the R18 aftermarket at the moment.

Mike

I paid an exorbitant amount for the wunderlich bars but I'm so proud of my R18B I couldn't help it.
(I got price gouged)

Also the Covid shut downs hurt this country so bad that supply chains and employment markets took a direct hit and are still damaged.

Also the Covid shut downs hurt this country so bad that supply chains and employment markets took a direct hit and are still damaged.
I might be inclined to sympathize with Wunderlich if this were the case...

But I have a sneaking hunch it's not. I think it's just good ol' capitalistic supply and demand price increases in a market controlled by a single player at this moment. That's why I fell on my own sword and ordered the black bars. I'll go ahead and do the extra work to chrome them myself.

NotAboutTheMoney.gif

Mike

I might be inclined to sympathize with Wunderlich if this were the case...

But I have a sneaking hunch it's not. I think it's just good ol' capitalistic supply and demand price increases in a market controlled by a single player at this moment. That's why I fell on my own sword and ordered the black bars. I'll go ahead and do the extra work to chrome them myself.

View attachment 6748

Mike
So you sent them a message by sending them $600? Message received. You sure told them. Lol.

I would be shocked if you can get those plated for less than $150. Oh and that is assuming you pay yourself ZERO for your time to strip and to take to, and pick up from, the metal plating shop.

FWIW if they are gloss POB to match the frame they would look most excellent against the bags. I personally would not touch them.

Ps. I can send you my Zelle info for any big messages you want to send my way.

So you sent them a message by sending them $600? Message received. You sure told them. Lol.

I would be shocked if you can get those plated for less than $150. Oh and that is assuming you pay yourself ZERO for your time to strip and to take to, and pick up from, the metal plating shop.

FWIW if they are gloss POB to match the frame they would look most excellent against the bags. I personally would not touch them.

Ps. I can send you my Zelle info for any big messages you want to send my way.
Well, who else sells R18 bag protection bars? No one. Hence my rant about Wunderlich being a monopoly at the moment.

That's why I sent them $600 bucks. They only had four in stock when I ordered (now three). I may be pissed, but I'm pragmatic, so I bought the best deal right now.

I'll do a dry fit and see if I like them as they are. If they don't clash too bad with the chrome, then MAYBE, just MAYBE I'll leave them alone. Otherwise, it's off to the chromers!

Gr8adv, I don't have Zelle, but if you have any cool messages to sell me, maybe I might ;) 😆

Mike

Back