Are these wire leads supposed to be exposed like this?

I've had my 22 R18B for several months and just noticed this, along the front edge of the right side cover, there are quite a few exposed wire connectors. Is this how it's supposed to be? Seems a little dangerous to me or am i just too paranoid?

PXL_20230727_224939014~2.jpg

I've had my 22 R18B for several months and just noticed this, along the front edge of the right side cover, there are quite a few exposed wire connectors. Is this how it's supposed to be? Seems a little dangerous to me or am i just too paranoid?

View attachment 10996
You are not alone here. When I was test riding my B I mentioned to the dealer that BMW went to great lengths to hide wires and lines as much as they could and did and amazing job, yet they left this side totally opened to the elements, so I asked him what was the reason for this and he replied that it was the nature of the beast.
Well, that is a lot of boll**ks but since every TC and B I have seen has the very same terminals exposed, then I figured out this is not a coincidence and I much doubt it BMW did not notice this on the design and in fact, it was probably done like this as a convenience to us.
I think they are confident enough for they to be exposed and if I am not comfortable, well, I just have to buy the aftermarket part that covers it.
One thing I am sure most owners would agree is that the exposed wires are ugly as hell on a bike that otherwise has had attention to details on any other part of the body and engine.

I've used this (+) 12V terminal already to jump start my buddy's HD Road Glide; it's pretty convenient to get an alligator clip on the terminal with a pair of jumper cables. The (-) Ground Stud terminal is even more convenient, which is located under the RHS cylinder.

I've considered removing the cable connections, and slipping black color heat shrink tubing over the existing red color heat shrink tubing. The red color does standout amongst the all black background color.

Now
I've used this (+) 12V terminal already to jump start my buddy's HD Road Glide; it's pretty convenient to get an alligator clip on the terminal with a pair of jumper cables. The (-) Ground Stud terminal is even more convenient, which is located under the RHS cylinder.

I've considered removing the cable connections, and slipping black color heat shrink tubing over the existing red color heat shrink tubing. The red color does standout amongst the all black background color.
Now, THAT is a good idea.

I believe what you're looking at there is the "Jump Start Terminal", so labeled in the microfiche. And yes, it IS supposed to be covered by part #2, part # 61 21 8536887 "Cover cap jump start connection".

View attachment 10997

The price of this luxurious piece of BMW safety equipment you may ask?

$1.08 USD ;)

https://store.bobsmotorcycles.com/microfiche/BrowseParts.aspx?GroupName=Wiring%2c+Battery%2c+Switches%2c+Relays+(61)&MBike=61577&GroupID=61#

Mike
That's great info. thanks! This makes much more sense now, having it exposed and easy to access is indeed a plus, and the aesthetic and other concerns minus of course.

Back