Anyone installed handlebars meant for another bike?

PistolPeteSTL

So the R18 bars are 1" where they clamp to the risers and narrow down to 7/8" at the grips. I know a couple other bikes that use bars set up that way, like the Indian Scout and the Harley Nightster. Has anyone used a handlebar other than ones from BMW or Wunderlich? There are some additional companies that make bars for the Indian Scout that offer some more options if they fit. Of course, it's possible I am missing something important about the bars.

It's a shame they don't use straight 1" bars, because the options are endless.

Reactions: Vyk
Yes, I installed the Scout bars that you mentioned, specifically the Klock version of the tracker. They fit just fine. Though they have thru holes for routing, I didn’t initially bother and ran everything outside. That was mainly because the exits fall under the R18 control mounts. This winter I will pull them and get the exits relocated. Besides that, you will need to build up the area beneath the R18 mounts as the length is different. I used aluminized tape and done. The last item is the bar weights. I replaced the stock ones with bar end mirrors. In fact I just tried on a new pair this very evening that have a bit more heft to the casting —offsetting some of the weight loss. Reach is a bit further and lower, but I’m all torso. Also, the Classic shield mounts clear just fine. Oh, and I got black which I really wanted!

Excellent. I was looking at some Scout bars made by Dean Speed. I may give them an order- I'm after something a little taller and a little narrower than I can find made for the R18 specifically.

Thanks for the response!

Yes, I installed the Scout bars that you mentioned, specifically the Klock version of the tracker. They fit just fine. Though they have thru holes for routing, I didn’t initially bother and ran everything outside. That was mainly because the exits fall under the R18 control mounts. This winter I will pull them and get the exits relocated. Besides that, you will need to build up the area beneath the R18 mounts as the length is different. I used aluminized tape and done. The last item is the bar weights. I replaced the stock ones with bar end mirrors. In fact I just tried on a new pair this very evening that have a bit more heft to the casting —offsetting some of the weight loss. Reach is a bit further and lower, but I’m all torso. Also, the Classic shield mounts clear just fine. Oh, and I got black which I really wanted!
Can you post a pic?

Back