Anyone install the 6.5" "Apehanger" handlebars?

PistolPeteSTL

Not sure how a 6" rise is considered apes, but I'll blame it on German language failed translation. But regardless, looking at these bars and they look to have more rise, less pullback and less width than the stock bars. From what I can tell from measurements they will suit me better and look to be about the same distance from the forks. However, my local BMW shop tells me I need new brake and clutch lines as well as left and right wiring harnesses. Based on swapping out bars on other bikes, it looks like the cables and lines should reach fine.

So I'm curious if anyone else has done the job and what their experience is. Having to swap all that out doubles the price of the parts for the job.

If I’d kept my R18 the mini apes are the ones I’d have bought but I’d have had to find a way of running the wires internally. No idea why bmw thought cable ties fixing them to the outside would be acceptable.

You will need to change the clutch and brake lines, Wunderlich includes them with their version but the cables should have plenty of slack. Attached is the parts matrix and it shows the same harness needed for all the bars which makes no sense.

Attachments

• 3B5B529F-B117-4BA0-930F-23EF8207595B.jpeg
    3B5B529F-B117-4BA0-930F-23EF8207595B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
I have installed 6.5” mini ape hanger on my 2022 R18 and it looks fantastic and handles well. Very doable project but be careful with the wiring and do not take the left switch assembly apart. Carefully unplug and slide switch off in one piece. Especially do not tamper with the cruise control. Also added 1” riser extension from Wild1. Next project will be the Corbin Solo seat.

Attachments

• IMG_2617.jpeg
    IMG_2617.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2624.jpeg
    IMG_2624.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2619.jpeg
    IMG_2619.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
I have installed 6.5” mini ape hanger on my 2022 R18 and it looks fantastic and handles well. Very doable project but be careful with the wiring and do not take the left switch assembly apart. Carefully unplug and slide switch off in one piece. Especially do not tamper with the cruise control. Also added 1” riser extension from Wild1. Next project will be the Corbin Solo seat.
Where did you get your bars? I just received my extended brake/clutch lines and wiring and I think the mini apes will fit me perfectly.

Where did you get your bars? I just received my extended brake/clutch lines and wiring and I think the mini apes will fit me perfectly.
I ordered the 6.5” mini ape hanger from the BMW motorcycle dealership. It is called Handlebars Pro, part no. 77229457410. The upper Brake hose is part no. 77227923460. The upper Clutch Hose is part no. 32727923468. I would like to reiterate that my stock R18 2022 wire harnesses is more than adequate to accommodate the mini ape hanger plus the Wild1 one inch riser extension conversion. Also the handlebar has all the drill holes and bar reduction for L/R grips. You may find other aftermarket bars cheaper but may not provide an easy conversion.

Questions about this 6.5 inch bars mod… do they fit the R18 pure? On the motorrad website it only says classic. Also does it pull back the position a bit or not really?

Questions about this 6.5 inch bars mod… do they fit the R18 pure? On the motorrad website it only says classic. Also does it pull back the position a bit or not really?

Xumerx, I have the 6.5" BMW ape hangers on my R18 base. They fit fine. When I bought the R18 from the dealer, I paid big bucks for parts and labor to have these mini apes installed.
I blindly assumed they would reach back further than the stock bars. They don't really.

Last edited:
Back