Alternative oil coolers

I agree with you there. Nothing you did wrong there. Excellent choice and anyone you can afford a R18 can afford LMC :)
The only reason I am writing this because I am searching for a real custom solution. Do not forget; I am in Germany. Whereas something is unique in the US, you might see similar solutions much more often in Germany.

Regarding the second sentence. Sorry, my colloquial English is not perfect. What do you mean with?
The challenge of the situation is in the pudding.
With all the time and money put into these things, almost all of the ugly stock one.

That many do nice customs but nobody dares to touch the cooler and stays with the original?
Make no mistake, I like your idea and your creativity.

Sorry, my comment was confusing. What I was trying to say is that there are not many oil cooler options. Even with all the money spent on creative custom bikes, few, if any builders, attempt to modify what is arguable the ugliest part of the bike. I think that speaks to how difficult the solution is.

Make no mistake, I like your idea and your creativity.

Sorry, my comment was confusing. What I was trying to say is that there are not many oil cooler options. Even with all the money spent on creative custom bikes, few, if any builders, attempt to modify what is arguable the ugliest part of the bike. I think that speaks to how difficult the solution is.
Yes, surprising. Although one reason might be fiddeling with that part is great mechanical responsibility - like with the engine. I know that LMC took it very serious and did a lot of temperature tests. Main issue would be BMW warranty when engine problems occur ...

I have to say...the stock black plastic oil cooler front piece doesn't bother me all that much....and unless my bike runs hot, I don't think I'll screw around with it.
Also, I'm thinking it might be best to leave my anniversary model alone, leave it stock....

Any thoughts????
Randy ... just to chime in on your comment ... it really is an individual thing and how you look at your bike ... I know people that spend a great deal of money on a as-much-original-as-possible BSA Rocket Gold Star or maybe a Vincent Black Shadow just to put her back to complete stock and are elated when they are done with it. I applaud these people, but that is not for me ... I buy a bike and already when I first pick it up I see things that 'need-to-go' ... I love having a bike that is as unique as possible and suits my needs ... so a very individual decision ... as for the oil cooler, I can live with my inexpensive one for now ... it suits the classic ruggedness of Uschi ... but I may go to a 'prettier' one down the road, after all Uschi is a work in progress ... so there are my thoughts ... it is really in the eye of the beholder IMO
;)

Great discussion ... I agree with the statement that the 'Plastic' cover for the oilcooler looks out of place and that BMW could have done a better job with making it look more as it would belong there. So I put some 'Lipstick' on my girl. (low cost solution, using the OEM cooler)
View attachment 14552
View attachment 14553

It was cheap and easy to install . it should not have changed anything in cooling capacity and IMO looks better than the BMW version.
I do like your solution, looks so much better than the current plastic version. 👊👊

Yes, surprising. Although one reason might be fiddeling with that part is great mechanical responsibility - like with the engine. I know that LMC took it very serious and did a lot of temperature tests. Main issue would be BMW warranty when engine problems occur ...
I second this. Magnison-Moss allows owners to do their own work, but on parts that affect other functionality (e.g. aftermarket oil coolers), BMW might be in the right to deny a warranty claim if something goes wrong with the engine, and oil cooling is suspected.

What I'd want to know before trying any other oil coolers is: what is the BTU/hr rating of the EXISTING stock oil cooler? If I can find the answer to that, then ANY aftermarket coolers I use MUST be at least the same, if not a higher BTU/hr rating. Getting into the weeds here, I could anticipate BMW in court asserting that a customer's aftermarket cooler was insufficient for the rated thermal load. Another anticipation is if the customer installed the aftermarket cooler incorrectly (i.e. the aftermarket cooler could never receive adequate airflow to work properly).

But, I always overthink everything...

Mike

The black plastic oil cooler cover does not attract the eye. What I see is the chrome engine cover and the chrome heads. On the other hand I am vain with motorcycles, so if an accessory is shiny, I'm apt to buy it. I do like Wunderlich's product......just haven't bought it yet.

Back