About to pull the trigger on a 2021 R18. Talk me out of it.

Good day.
Normally a naked rider (Ducati Monster 1200S). Time to add something different to the stable.
Prices on low mile R18s, i think, provide a lot of value.
About to pull the trigger on one.
Questions for you, R18 community,
Why do you think there are so many first edition / base models out there used with low miles?
Are you aware of any serious design faults? Why have i never seen one in the wild?
Also should note, I have never ridden one yet.
Was set on a totally different animal, R9T, but the price is so damn close, got to go big.
Cheers.

Google is your friend.
my cliff notes -
low entry price though r18/r18fe is a base bike…not bags, screen, need to find one with cruise and reverse.
limited rear suspension, heavy, cost to add what some may feel are extras needed.
go try one with an open mind and see what you think.
spend extra for the Classic or RSD trims if those things matter to you
a lot of love for the Bagger and TC trims

Google is your friend.
my cliff notes -
low entry price though r18/r18fe is a base bike…not bags, screen, need to find one with cruise and reverse.
limited rear suspension, heavy, cost to add what some may feel are extras needed.
go try one with an open mind and see what you think.
spend extra for the Classic or RSD trims if those things matter to you
a lot of love for the Bagger and TC trims
Thank you very much.
Don't care about bags, and a screen can be added later.
I thought they all had reverse. Some don't? That would be a deal breaker (or delay for better deal).

I really liked the looks of the R18 Classic and was set on buying it until I sat on one and realized I was just to tall for it. I rode the R18 B when the demo truck came around shortly before it was released, but wasn't left feeling in love with how it rode.

I couldn't get over how beautiful it with the galaxy dust paint job though, so I spent the last year waiting for a deal. I got it a couple months ago and 2k miles later I've fallen in love with the handling and power. If you fit on a base/classic and you can get one for a deal, I don't think you'll regret it. If you're taller, look for a deal on a B in my opinion.

I really liked the looks of the R18 Classic and was set on buying it until I sat on one and realized I was just to tall for it. I rode the R18 B when the demo truck came around shortly before it was released, but wasn't left feeling in love with how it rode.

I couldn't get over how beautiful it with the galaxy dust paint job though, so I spent the last year waiting for a deal. I got it a couple months ago and 2k miles later I've fallen in love with the handling and power. If you fit on a base/classic and you can get one for a deal, I don't think you'll regret it. If you're taller, look for a deal on a B in my opinion.
Thank you for sharing.
Not tall. Sat on one before, it's so low.
Doing some research, it does appear reverse is an option, one that i will want considering the weight.

Ok. My 2 cents as the saying goes. I think there are low mile FE’s around because 1) the bike launched during lockdown (broadly speaking) so very corporate and overly gushing press reviews were all we could go on 2) BMW built big numbers prior to actual release to dealers 3) a small but significant number of YouTubers who dislike the BMW brand or even the idea of any HD competition were able to test ride them and then go to town slating the bike because they took pleasure in doing so or just wanted ‘clickbait’ 4) it is expensive and servicing can be 5) as an only bike its not really an ‘all rounder’ or that practical to own on a daily basis and some peoples expectations were just too high. It is a big very low heavy cruiser and it’s really not that fast. 6) after the ‘honeymoon’ period was over dealers still had too many bikes in stock so had to pre register or demo them.

However. Two years have passed. That pool of new ‘leftover’ bikes has gone. BMW will I’m sure reduce numbers to cater for the actual market demand and used prices will settle (IMHO).

So why buy? Well, this is only my opinion but just look at it. It’s a stunner. There’s nothing else like it. I’ve had a few boxers before 2 x R850R, R9T. Ridden the R1100RT and GS. Knew I wanted one. If you are on the fence I would suggest you try one before buying because it might not be for you. Depends what you want. I use the reverse, I have gravel on my drive and without it I would really struggle.

I much prefer it to the R9T. Much roomier riding position, much nicer engine, nicer sound, it feels ‘Royal’. Riding sub 60mph feels unbelievably relaxed and effortless, it ‘wafts’ along. Short shifting feels terrific. Much above that speed the wind becomes annoying but that’s the same with most naked bikes.

When I go in the garage and lift the bike cover. It’s just a ‘wow’ moment. Good luck on your quest.

Last edited:
Thank you very much.
Don't care about bags, and a screen can be added later.
I thought they all had reverse. Some don't? That would be a deal breaker (or delay for better deal).
There is a bit of confusion on naming that often gets this. There are 4 R18 models:

R18 (Pure), Classic, B, Transcontinental (TC).

Each model had a First Edition (FE) package available in the first model year of that model. This package included items like a number of chrome bits, pin stripes and reverse. Some early production R18 Pure with First Edition package didn’t have reverse. Most units without the First Edition package don’t have reverse.

2022 and later model years also have reverse available only in combination with higher end options and reverse is quite pricy as an add on.

I have reverse on my R18 Classic with First Edition package. Before I bought mine, I felt reverse was a must have given the weight. I tried it a bunch when I first got the bike 10 months ago, but haven’t used it since.

The seat is very low, and while the bike is heavy, the CG is low, so I’ve had no problem moving it around with just my legs. I am 6’4”, so shorter riders might find it harder to get leverage with their legs and thus benefit from reverse more.

There is a bit of confusion on naming that often gets this. There are 4 R18 models:

Each model had a First Edition (FE) package available in the first model year of that model. This package included items like a number of chrome bits, pin stripes and reverse. Some early production R18 Pure with First Edition package didn’t have reverse. Most units without the First Edition package don’t have reverse.

2022 and later model years also have reverse available only in combination with higher end options and reverse is quite pricy as an add on.

I have reverse on my R18 Classic with First Edition package. Before I bought mine, I felt reverse was a must have given the weight. I tried it a bunch when I first got the bike 10 months ago, but haven’t used it since.

The seat is very low, and while the bike is heavy, the CG is low, so I’ve had no problem moving it around with just my legs. I am 6’4”, so shorter riders might find it harder to get leverage with their legs and thus benefit from reverse more.
Good points those I hadn’t even considered TBH, that there’s a mix of models and specifications out in the wild now.

I think some of the used prices are a steal at the present. Once the leftover stock pile has gone then I see prices rise. I have only owned mine since August but I have had more positive feedback from other riders than any of my previous bikes. The only negative that I have found is no fuel range counter. But the R nineT doesn’t have one and that appears to be stronger than ever. The more bikes that riders will see at meets will lead to more sales and making this bike a success. My local dealers are all currently working on bobber demo bikes which will show what can be done for not a great
expense which can be returned to stock.6831FA2D-D7EA-494B-B190-FB9C1337395B.jpeg

Good day.
Normally a naked rider (Ducati Monster 1200S). Time to add something different to the stable.
Prices on low mile R18s, i think, provide a lot of value.
About to pull the trigger on one.
Questions for you, R18 community,
Why do you think there are so many first edition / base models out there used with low miles?
Are you aware of any serious design faults? Why have i never seen one in the wild?
Also should note, I have never ridden one yet.
Was set on a totally different animal, R9T, but the price is so damn close, got to go big.
Cheers.
How tall are you? I am 6ft and the bike feels too small.

...and remember, if you want cruise control, not all 2021 R18FE bikes came with it nor can you retro fit it to the early production 2021 R18 models cause the wiring is different. That plus it would cost two arms and two legs to afford all the bits to make it work.

The R18 is a great value on the used market right now, you can get a nearly new model for about 60% of the cost of a similar model from Indian or Harley. The bike is also better built and better engineered than those brands as well. Mine was hit by a van and I did the work myself to repair and was impressed with how straightforward the work was.

Reasons there are lots of bikes on the used market?
Service is expensive. Factory parts are expensive. Aftermarket parts are expensive. In that above collision the damage estimate was just under $10,000, and it was all cosmetic bits. All the parts cost 2x as much as a Harley.
The suspension in the base models is sub-par, so whether you are coming from another BMW or a similar sized Harley you will find the suspension lacking. It drags pegs easily and punishes your spine over bumps I don't even notice on my GS. So people could have been drawn to the cruiser look, but the 4th time they hit a pothole realize a bike with better suspension is a better match.
Last reason is parts availability, which you get with any new model. Take handlebars- since they are wider at the clamp than the grips, you can only buy bars made for the R18 or have some welded up. Even bars that are similar in design like for the Indian Scout don't fit without modification. So people who like to customize, and many cruiser owners do, that could be a down side.

But again, it's the best value going in the heavyweight cruiser segment. It's a very well built bike and as long as you accept it's limitations- limited and expensive parts and having to take roads slower than on other bikes, it would be a nice fit.

I use the Reverse Option everytime I return from a ride; this is due to my driveway width, incline and proximity to my garage, where I park my bike by backing it into the parking spot which is somewhat uphill.

Indeed, better to have reverse and not need it then need it and not have it in my book. even on flat ground I find it helpful to back her into the garage :)

Last edited:

Not sure where you're from, but nearly all 22 R18s I've seen have reverse in the US since BMW pretty much requires a special order to not come included with tech/premium packages. Been that way for the three BMWs I've owned, which isn't a problem since I always want it anyway, but in my experience not having reverse is the exception, not the rule.

I was 6 years on Honda CB1000R. A more tamer naked street fighter to your Ducati Monster 1200S. I now have one-year on R18. I do miss my street fighter. Not for the speed. The R18 is more than fast enough. But I miss my Cb1000R in the city. Where I drive most. It was a bike I could dance with. Light and nimble. I could move through streets like a surgeon. At stop lights without thinking go to the front. With the R18 in the city, it's more like a car. I find myself having to wait in line at lights and splinting lanes on the freeway is a pain ( legal in California). There are tricks and I can bulldog my way. But it is work and requires thinking. The way the naked will not. On the open road, the R18 is a dream. As you can see from the other posts, riders love them. I think the best would be to have both. The R18 and a naked. But if you are only going to have one bike. Before buying go rent one or an HD of a similar size. It is a big money decision. One, you want to get right.

I was 6 years on Honda CB1000R. A more tamer naked street fighter to your Ducati Monster 1200S. I now have one-year on R18. I do miss my street fighter. Not for the speed. The R18 is more than fast enough. But I miss my Cb1000R in the city. Where I drive most. It was a bike I could dance with. Light and nimble. I could move through streets like a surgeon. At stop lights without thinking go to the front. With the R18 in the city, it's more like a car. I find myself having to wait in line at lights and splinting lanes on the freeway is a pain ( legal in California). There are tricks and I can bulldog my way. But it is work and requires thinking. The way the naked will not. On the open road, the R18 is a dream. As you can see from the other posts, riders love them. I think the best would be to have both. The R18 and a naked. But if you are only going to have one bike. Before buying go rent one or an HD of a similar size. It is a big money decision. One, you want to get right.
mmm that strikes a chord. I bought my new ‘leftover’ R18FE at a great price, late summer (no regrets). I was going to p/x my CB1000R but at the 11th hour (day before) I decided to keep it, just incase the R18 didn’t work out. Well, I’m sort of glad I did, for every reason you’ve given plus a few more. I was out on the CB yesterday actually and they are chalk and cheese to ride. I do struggle with the indulgence of having two bikes, I don’t need two and of course there’s the money side of it all. However many folks have two or more bikes and have no problem whatsoever with that concept so I’m trying not to overthink it and keep both but I really don’t know which I would sell if it came to it. They are so different.

81B655F8-569D-44FE-9FE7-B556E712CD46.jpeg

Back