About to pull the trigger, How bad is the vibration?

It's no parallel twin sewing machine or inline 4 for sure, but it's perfectly smooth at speed and has tons of character. I was sold the minute I ripped the throttle at idle and the thing tried to tip over. Most engaging experience I've had on a bike ever.

I have wrist issues generally and no issues riding the R18TC for long stretches. Back starts hurting before anything. A decade ago I had a ninja 650 which vibrated so much at the handlebars that my hands would go numb after a long day ride.

As the owner at some point of both Harley Road King Special (114") and an R18 FE, my impression of riding both at the same time was as follows.

1. At idle, the R18 shakes much less than HD, with the exception of R18 starting bucking obviously
2. Until 2500 RPM R18 shakes less than HD
3. From 2500 to 3000 RPM vibrations are comparable
4. Above 3000 RPM R18 shakes more than HD, not by much but noticeable.

As both bikes are cruisers/tourers and not sport bikes, I only get over 3000 RPM when accelerating quickly. 70 mph, the speed limit, in 6th gear is also below 3000 RPM. So in real life R18 shakes definitely no more than HD with 114 engine, probably less.

I believe that the whole story about "shaking" is inflated by bloggers / reviewers, who are probably not that arm length from competitors. Like many other fairy tales about R18
Yea, seems like the folks I see complain about shaking are folks who have very little experience with cruisers and/or engine configurations that aren't the usual sewing machine variety. No problem with P-twins, straight 4s, whatever. Just funny to see people nitpick.

As the owner at some point of both Harley Road King Special (114") and an R18 FE, my impression of riding both at the same time was as follows.

1. At idle, the R18 shakes much less than HD, with the exception of R18 starting bucking obviously
2. Until 2500 RPM R18 shakes less than HD
3. From 2500 to 3000 RPM vibrations are comparable
4. Above 3000 RPM R18 shakes more than HD, not by much but noticeable.

As both bikes are cruisers/tourers and not sport bikes, I only get over 3000 RPM when accelerating quickly. 70 mph, the speed limit, in 6th gear is also below 3000 RPM. So in real life R18 shakes definitely no more than HD with 114 engine, probably less.

I believe that the whole story about "shaking" is inflated by bloggers / reviewers, who are probably not that arm length from competitors. Like many other fairy tales about R18
Exactly my feeling too, my last bike was a 103 Road King. Most of my riding will be commuting so I think I should be fine with R18.

Yea, seems like the folks I see complain about shaking are folks who have very little experience with cruisers and/or engine configurations that aren't the usual sewing machine variety. No problem with P-twins, straight 4s, whatever. Just funny to see people nitpick.
“…are folks who have very little experience with cruisers and/or engine configurations that aren't the usual sewing machine variety…”
too funny

Exactly my feeling too, my last bike was a 103 Road King. Most of my riding will be commuting so I think I should be fine with R18.
Now the real question is will you buy one :)
Btw, if you do…most love the Bagger else go all in for the TC for the wind protection. Both I found heavier than the base model (forget weight difference). Some feel the Classic hits the sweet spot for ‘bang for the buck’ vs the base model.

Last, if you get one, toss it in Rain mode if you want to go (guessing) maybe an additional 200 to 300 higher rpm without vibs at high speed (guessing just a drop over 75mph) I read somewhere that Rain mode does the trick.

Each their own, though possible a base model which is lower cost could do the trick if one simply wants a bike for shorter duration rides and does not plan on touring. I tossed a windscreen and got the upgraded seat with backrest on my base model.
Photo is before I added manstad windscreen

Attachments

• A004EC82-5F5D-409C-978A-FE47DCAC9BE5.jpeg
    A004EC82-5F5D-409C-978A-FE47DCAC9BE5.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The First Edition B comes with the adaptive cruise control (they come fully loaded...)
I think that depends on where you are located. Here in the UK and the same as my R18, the FE gives you the pinstripes and chrome. Everything else is an optional extra. Most of the first batch were specced up by dealers as demo bikes so have the majority of options except floor boards which was a miss imo, though I know some prefer the standard flat pegs.

As a general precaution I would not rely on adaptive cruise control but that is just me... if you are gonna go for hundreds of miles the touring spec ones are definitely worthwhile. Another odd bit about the base model (ask me how I know) is that windshields and other quality of life upgrades are VERY dependent on the rider proportion.

Show it off when ya get it! These machines look great.

I don't even like adaptive cruise control on my car. I turn it off and use it as a regular cruise control. I darn sure don't want it on my motorcycle. YMMV

My 21 R18C came spec'd out with floorboards and cruise control but no reverse. That's perfect for me.

Took delivery today! The actual R18B FE feels the same as the 2023 demo I rode, as most people mentioned, its comfort zone is 2-3k. Lower or higher than that vibration will be there.

I'm still getting used to the (feels tiny) shifter, may need to get an extension for that.

Attachments

• PXL_20230218_203610823.jpg
    PXL_20230218_203610823.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 19
Took delivery today! The actual R18B FE feels the same as the 2023 demo I rode, as most people mentioned, its comfort zone is 2-3k. Lower or higher than that vibration will be there.

I'm still getting used to the (feels tiny) shifter, may need to get an extension for that.
Congratulations...!!! Best looking model IMO..

Congratulations, I really like that

My advice: don't make any modifications or order expensive parts until you've done at least 500 miles. There's a good chance you'll like the changes from the Harley controls you're used to, BMW controls are actually a lot more precise once you get used to them. That said, you will need a heel shifter with floorboards if you don't have it now.
Thanks for the advice, indeed I will try to get used to it first.

It does already have floor board and heel shifter, I can use heel shifter but prefer not to so my muscle memory doesn't rely on heel shifter.

Back