A Stranger in a Strange Land (or an R18 at MB Bike Week)

I rode my R18TC to Myrtle Beach Bike Week for a couple of days.

While I must admit that I fell in love with the bike at first sight, it's taken me a while to develop a good relationship with it. Now that I have, I'm enjoying the ride more all the time.

My friend bet me $20 we wouldn't see another R18 of any variant at bike week and he was correct. The R18TC was absolutely unique!

Comments in order of frequency:
- What the hell is that? (By a wide margin)
- When did BMW build something like that?
- It's gorgeous!
- Is it fast?
- You effin' nazi! (One drunk guy)

BMW value:
- Saved a ton of money as NONE of the accessory shops had anything to fit it...except the pinstripers...I was sorely tempted!

Lastly, minor issues...
- luggage capacity is terrible. My friend got more in both his HD saddlebags than I could in bags and top case. A t-bag is a must.
- homicidal navigation tried to have me turn right at the top of a bridge in Georgetown, SC! Continued to perform poorly the entire trip so I broke out my sextant and compass.

Bottom line is that the trip was thoroughly enjoyable and the bike performed well and got lots of attention!

Forgot to add...found this in the owners manual...put a damper on my plans for Suck, Bang, Blow!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240521-190551.png
    Screenshot_20240521-190551.png
    427.3 KB · Views: 7
I rode my R18TC to Myrtle Beach Bike Week for a couple of days.

While I must admit that I fell in love with the bike at first sight, it's taken me a while to develop a good relationship with it. Now that I have, I'm enjoying the ride more all the time.

My friend bet me $20 we wouldn't see another R18 of any variant at bike week and he was correct. The R18TC was absolutely unique!

Comments in order of frequency:
- What the hell is that? (By a wide margin)
- When did BMW build something like that?
- It's gorgeous!
- Is it fast?
- You effin' nazi! (One drunk guy)

BMW value:
- Saved a ton of money as NONE of the accessory shops had anything to fit it...except the pinstripers...I was sorely tempted!

Lastly, minor issues...
- luggage capacity is terrible. My friend got more in both his HD saddlebags than I could in bags and top case. A t-bag is a must.
- homicidal navigation tried to have me turn right at the top of a bridge in Georgetown, SC! Continued to perform poorly the entire trip so I broke out my sextant and compass.

Bottom line is that the trip was thoroughly enjoyable and the bike performed well and got lots of attention!
Agreed, the navigation / app is utterly useless. Tip: it is possible to get two helmets in the top case!

Attachments

• IMG_0999.jpeg
    IMG_0999.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
Back