6,000 miles service cost is ridiculous!

Purchased the 5yr 50K Service inclusive plan. Together with the new 5yr unlimited klm warranty, it’s a good package. Great first service experience. Arrived at the booking time of 8.30am, bike was whisked away. Waited in the dealer customer lounge doing some work and enjoying great coffee and pastries while they did the checks and changed the oils and filter. Service was finished at 10.15am.
Service inclusive is more than just oils and filters.
  • Engine oil service
  • Oil filter change
  • First-check (1,000km)
  • Valve clearance check
  • Fork oil change
  • Gearbox oil change
  • Spark plug replacement
  • Brake fluid
  • Air filter change
  • Fuel filter change
  • I would like to know what’s included in a fork oil check? Do they do a cursory glance at the fork to see is a seal is leaking?
    Because you would literally have to remove the fork from the bike to check the fork oil.

Just my 2¢ ... did that yesterday:

10 000 Mile Service DIY
  • Engine Oil (4L @ $45)
  • Oil Filter ($16)
  • Check and adjust Valves ($0)
  • 4 new sparkplugs (BMW OEM @$24 each)
  • Final Drive and Transmission Oil (2qt with some to spare @ $56)
  • Check Brake Pads ($0)
  • ‘Ping’ spokes to make sure everything is fine ($0)
  • Blow out Airfilter – it looked good enough to do just that ($0)
  • Look over the whole bike for loose fasteners ($0)
  • Check Tire air ($0)
  • Spend quality time with ‘Uschi’ (Priceless)
  • Greasy fingerprints ($0)
  • Knowing that that wife, after almost 3 decades, knows to leave me
    the f…k alone when I am wrenching (Even more priceless!)

Total $213 and time well spent! ;)

Just my 2¢ ... did that yesterday:

10 000 Mile Service DIY
  • Engine Oil (4L @ $45)
  • Oil Filter ($16)
  • Check and adjust Valves ($0)
  • 4 new sparkplugs (BMW OEM @$24 each)
  • Final Drive and Transmission Oil (2qt with some to spare @ $56)
  • Check Brake Pads ($0)
  • ‘Ping’ spokes to make sure everything is fine ($0)
  • Blow out Airfilter – it looked good enough to do just that ($0)
  • Look over the whole bike for loose fasteners ($0)
  • Check Tire air ($0)
  • Spend quality time with ‘Uschi’ (Priceless)
  • Greasy fingerprints ($0)
  • Knowing that that wife, after almost 3 decades, knows to leave me
    the f…k alone when I am wrenching (Even more priceless!)

Total $213 and time well spent! ;)
Ulrich, didn’t want to re-use spark plugs at this low mile stage ?

Ulrich, didn’t want to re-use spark plugs at this low mile stage ?
I was thinking about that ... but (even at $24 each) I thought it would be a good opportunity to swap the ones out that are in there and keep them as emergency spares, these plugs are not readily available at a car parts store. I think I mentioned it before ... I am so used to my '66 Shovelhead (my Avatar pic) where you never left home without spares (and a spare set of points) .. and that still sticks with me. I now have 2 of the old ones in my saddle bag together with my road tools ... I think I can limp home on one each per side 😀
But you are correct, these Iridium plugs together with these EFI/ECU tuned and controlled engines should last a lot longer.

EDIT: Dave you type faster than me ... and yes :)

Beemer Boneyard has oil, transmission, final drive, plus oil filter and crush washer for only $99.95. That seems like a great price. I have bought from them for my R1200C and would recommend them. I will be getting this from them when its time to do my 6000 mi service.

I was thinking about that ... but (even at $24 each) I thought it would be a good opportunity to swap the ones out that are in there and keep them as emergency spares, these plugs are not readily available at a car parts store. I think I mentioned it before ... I am so used to my '66 Shovelhead (my Avatar pic) where you never left home without spares (and a spare set of points) .. and that still sticks with me. I now have 2 of the old ones in my saddle bag together with my road tools ... I think I can limp home on one each per side 😀
But you are correct, these Iridium plugs together with these EFI/ECU tuned and controlled engines should last a lot longer.

EDIT: Dave you type faster than me ... and yes :)
Iridium plugs in such a low stress 9.5 : 1 compression ratio motor that runs mostly in cruise mode at 2500 to 3000 rpm should last well over 50k miles probably closer to 80 to 100k miles, if properly regapped every 15 to 20k miles. 4 valves per cylinder really lowers the erosion rate from swirl effect on these spark plugs. Just measure the gap and reset, as needed, Iridium is very, very hard.

Am I mistaken, or does this engine have 2 spark plugs per cylinder, and therefore you should have 4 spare spark plugs now, not 2 ?

Last edited:
Iridium plugs in such a low stress 9.5 : 1 compression ratio motor that runs mostly in cruise mode at 2500 to 3000 rpm should last well over 50k miles probably closer to 80 to 100k miles, if properly regapped every 15 to 20k miles. 4 valves per cylinder really lowers the erosion rate from swirl effect on these spark plugs. Just measure the gap and reset, as needed, Iridium is very, very hard.

Am I mistaken, or does this engine have 2 spark plugs per cylinder, and therefore you should have 4 spare spark plugs now, not 2 ?
There are 4, 2 of them are under the cylinders ... caught me off guard too ... but I don't think all 4 will fail at the same time ;)

If you usually do your own service, I have the specific info needed. I own 2 R18’s, and the are very easy to maintain. Btw,I ran into the same issue. Just let me know via pm.
pbosik, Would be interested in any and all DIY service/tech info you have to share...Please advise as to format and costs(if any)you could offer. Thanks in Advance, WHH410

I spoke with our BMW dealer here in Indianapolis about their $700.00 cost and how it's justified. They said that their shop time is 1.5 hrs. on each cylinder, or 3.0 hours to do the valves. (I don't know why or how that is possible.) He also said there is a special tool to hold the cylinder in place so that it doesn't move upon insertion of the gauge and that most people do not have or use that tool so they get incorrect measurements.
There's a special gauge inserted in that service manager's mouth that gives incorrect statements. It's called choking on his own sh*t that his mouth is passing.

There's a special gauge inserted in that service manager's mouth that gives incorrect statements. It's called choking on his own sh*t that his mouth is passing.
Yup ... that is a serious load of BS ... if your cylinder moves ... you have a bigger problem ... on mine, only the pistons move ( I sincerely hope on yours as well) ... and sure as hell not when I am adjusting the valves!

Back