50 + M.P.G.

I assume this is the indicated MPG on the cluster rather than a measured one. On my Classic, the consumption displayed is since last reset, not lifetime. I reset mine on every fuel stop and it always indicates low the first few miles as some time was spend idling to get out of the gas station.

I measure the fuel added and miles since last refill on each tank to see my actual measured MPG. Individual tanks have varied between 39 and 49 MPG, but my lifetime average is about 44 (total miles/ total gallons). The B and TC are much heavier than the Classic, so I’d expect worse mileage on them vs my Classic. But how you ride like full throttle acceleration in twisties or lots of miles on highway with steady throttle can tweak a lot. I personally mostly ride twisties fairly aggressively, so my MPG will be lower than that of a mostly sedate highway rider.

With my TC I'm getting about 45mpg with mixed road types. Longer runs at
steady speeds in the sixty to seventy mph area see this improve to 50mpg +.
average tank range is around 200 miles

Looking at a TC with 5800 miles on it, 2022, needs the service shortly.... and lifetime MPG is only 37.... so I am wondering if possibly the brakes are sticking or something, that it's so poor? Or does the owner romp on it pretty good?
I would be making a bad guess at best as there are so many factors as to M.P.G., tire wear and such. I have one traffic light within ten miles of my home and have to choose to use that intersection so I can pretty much avoid all, but a few of them while riding 100s of miles on our lightly populated farm and mountain roads. If I lived in a more populated area with a bunch of stop and go I would imagine my mileage would suffer greatly with the same motorcycle and rider habits. Also keep in mind when the settings were refreshed will have a big impact on that reading. Lastly, as you noted she is due for a service at !0Ks/6000 miles that includes a valve adjustment in addition to refreshing-inspecting fluids and filters and with that completed it should help a bit too. Bottom line, I personally wouldn't give that average mileage a moment's thought and if the rest of the deal is good I would make sure she's serviced, reset the readings and then enjoy your new ride while seeing what range you can expect for where and how you ride.

With my TC I'm getting about 45mpg with mixed road types. Longer runs at
steady speeds in the sixty to seventy mph area see this improve to 50mpg +.
average tank range is around 200 miles
It's a 6.3 gallon fuel tank, how much gas are you putting in at the 200 mile mark? What kind of steady speeds do you set your cruise control at?

I live in the UK, so working in imperial gallons. Fuel warning light comes
on at around the 180 mile mark, showing 40 miles of fuel left. I only use cruise
control on motorways with speed cameras, that way I can concentrate on the
road rather than the speedo. I usually keep my speed fairly close to the limit
in force so around 70 on motorways, about 60 on single carriageway roads
unless there is a lower limit. Riding to work & back I'm getting around 45mpg.

I live in the UK, so working in imperial gallons. Fuel warning light comes
on at around the 180 mile mark, showing 40 miles of fuel left. I only use cruise
control on motorways with speed cameras, that way I can concentrate on the
road rather than the speedo. I usually keep my speed fairly close to the limit
in force so around 70 on motorways, about 60 on single carriageway roads
unless there is a lower limit. Riding to work & back I'm getting around 45mpg.
Again, how many gallons, don't care if US or Imperial, are you putting in to your tank, doing a fillup, at the 180 to 200 mile mark? Like what is the reading on your receipt at the fuel pump?

I usually put in around 18 to 20 litres, approx. 4 imp. gallons. I don't
push my luck after the fuel light comes on, it's only 10 miles from
work to my usual garage to fill up, with around 40 miles in reserve
I can get to work & fill up on the way home if I get low on fuel on the way
to work.
Edit 12/08
Filled up today at 193 miles, put 18.89 litres (4.15 imp. gallons) in the tank

Last edited:
Back