• Welcome to the BMW R18 Forums. Member registration disables ads and allows you to post and share. Register Here.
  • A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

3rd party oil filter for the R18?

  • <i class="fa--xf fal fa-check "><svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" role="img" aria-hidden="true" ><use href="/data/local/icons/light.svg?v=1789222567#check"></use></svg></i> Discussion starter Discussion starter BER18 100
  • Start date Start date
If you should choose to use K&N oil filters - do not use the built in nut to tighten a new filter on. The nut is designed to remove the filter only. As I stated before - I will no longer use K&N oil filters due to having issues with different filters leaking oil from the welds holding the removal nut to the fiter body. I could have easily been hurt or killed due to oil on my back tire. If you look up oil leaks from K&N oil filters you will see many many cases of oil leaks.

K&N oil filters have a widely reported issue with leaks at the welded nut, especially on motorcycles, due to failure at the weld point from heat/vibration. Users on Reddit report these leaks can occur suddenly, causing oil to dump out, potentially onto the rear tire. This commonly affects filters with the "17mm nut" (e.g., KN-204).
RedditReddit +4
Key Causes and Issues:
  • Welding Failure: The primary cause is the weld for the top nut weakening the canister, causing it to crack and leak.
  • Recall History: A safety recall by the NHTSA was issued in 2017 for certain KN-204/204C filters manufactured between March and September 2016.
  • Reoccurring Failures: Many users on Facebook note continued issues beyond the recalled batch, prompting some to switch to OEM brands.
  • Installation Errors: While many issues are structural, improper installation—such as not lubricating the gasket or leaving the old gasket on—can also cause leaks.
    FacebookFacebook +5
What to Do:
  • Check the Part Number/Date: Confirm if your filter falls under the affected batch from 2016.
  • Inspect the Nut: Check for cracks around the weld where the 17mm nut meets the canister.
  • Use Caution: Many users on VFRDiscussion.com recommend against using wrench-off filters, favoring OEM for better reliability.
  • Hand-Tighten Only: Avoid over-tightening with the nut during installation to reduce stress on the weld.
    VFRDiscussion.comVFRDiscussion.com +2


Oil Filter Leaking........... - VFRDiscussion.com
May 13, 2020 — K&N Oil Filter Issues: Several users report that K&N oil filters, particularly those with a welded-on nut for removal, are prone t...
1774385419454.gif
VFRDiscussion.com

1774385419474.gif
SAFETY RECALL NOTICE - nhtsa
K&N has discovered that certain KN-204/204C oil filters manufactured between March 1 and September 30, 2016, can leak oil at the a...
1774385419488.gif
NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (.gov)

1774385419501.gif
Possible issues with K&N oil filters
Jul 25, 2017 — faffi. ... Reports on forums all over the world reporting that K&N 204 and other filters are failing. One guy had his fail at the ...
1774385419513.gif
California SuperBike School

Anybody have a problem with k&N oil filters loosening & leaking oil? Zx6r 2021 : r/Kawasaki
Nov 14, 2023 — The user says they've had this problem a few times: * "I really have no idea why this keeps happening" * "Seen more than a few lea...
1774385419524.gif
Reddit

Why is my K&N oil filter leaking on my Honda Type R?
Feb 29, 2024 — OEM Filter Recommendation: Many users strongly recommend using OEM Honda oil filters, citing reliability and lack of issues over m...
1774385419539.gif
 

Attachments

  • 1774385419627.jpeg
    1774385419627.jpeg
    720 bytes · Views: 0
  • 1774385419606.png
    1774385419606.png
    169 bytes · Views: 0
  • 1774385419595.png
    1774385419595.png
    368 bytes · Views: 0
  • 1774385419637.png
    1774385419637.png
    169 bytes · Views: 0
  • 1774385419617.gif
    1774385419617.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 0
  • 1774385419560.gif
    1774385419560.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 0
  • 1774385419581.gif
    1774385419581.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 0
If you should choose to use K&N oil filters - do not use the built in nut to tighten a new filter on. The nut is designed to remove the filter only. As I stated before - I will no longer use K&N oil filters due to having issues with different filters leaking oil from the welds holding the removal nut to the fiter body. I could have easily been hurt or killed due to oil on my back tire. If you look up oil leaks from K&N oil filters you will see many many cases of oil leaks.

K&N oil filters have a widely reported issue with leaks at the welded nut, especially on motorcycles, due to failure at the weld point from heat/vibration. Users on Reddit report these leaks can occur suddenly, causing oil to dump out, potentially onto the rear tire. This commonly affects filters with the "17mm nut" (e.g., KN-204).
View attachment 20611Reddit +4
Key Causes and Issues:
  • Welding Failure: The primary cause is the weld for the top nut weakening the canister, causing it to crack and leak.
  • Recall History: A safety recall by the NHTSA was issued in 2017 for certain KN-204/204C filters manufactured between March and September 2016.
  • Reoccurring Failures: Many users on Facebook note continued issues beyond the recalled batch, prompting some to switch to OEM brands.
  • Installation Errors: While many issues are structural, improper installation—such as not lubricating the gasket or leaving the old gasket on—can also cause leaks.
    View attachment 20612Facebook +5
What to Do:
  • Check the Part Number/Date: Confirm if your filter falls under the affected batch from 2016.
  • Inspect the Nut: Check for cracks around the weld where the 17mm nut meets the canister.
  • Use Caution: Many users on VFRDiscussion.com recommend against using wrench-off filters, favoring OEM for better reliability.
  • Hand-Tighten Only: Avoid over-tightening with the nut during installation to reduce stress on the weld.
    View attachment 20613VFRDiscussion.com +2


Oil Filter Leaking........... - VFRDiscussion.com
May 13, 2020 — K&N Oil Filter Issues: Several users report that K&N oil filters, particularly those with a welded-on nut for removal, are prone t...
View attachment 20614
VFRDiscussion.com

View attachment 20615
SAFETY RECALL NOTICE - nhtsa
K&N has discovered that certain KN-204/204C oil filters manufactured between March 1 and September 30, 2016, can leak oil at the a...
View attachment 20621
NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (.gov)

View attachment 20619
Possible issues with K&N oil filters
Jul 25, 2017 — faffi. ... Reports on forums all over the world reporting that K&N 204 and other filters are failing. One guy had his fail at the ...
View attachment 20623
California SuperBike School

Anybody have a problem with k&N oil filters loosening & leaking oil? Zx6r 2021 : r/Kawasaki
Nov 14, 2023 — The user says they've had this problem a few times: * "I really have no idea why this keeps happening" * "Seen more than a few lea...
View attachment 20625
Reddit

Why is my K&N oil filter leaking on my Honda Type R?
Feb 29, 2024 — OEM Filter Recommendation: Many users strongly recommend using OEM Honda oil filters, citing reliability and lack of issues over m...
View attachment 20624
The correct K&N filter for the R18 is the KN-164, not KN-204. But It does have the 17MM nut. Don't you think they have taken care of the manufacturing defect by now?
 
The correct K&N filter for the R18 is the KN-164, not KN-204. But It does have the 17MM nut. Don't you think they have taken care of the manufacturing defect by now?
I have had several different models leak oil on cars and bikes. They have said in the past that the problems were solved and then had issues again. I simply won't trust that it won't happen again - it is, in my opinion, too dangerous to risk it on a motorcycle especially when other filters are available and filter wrenches are easy to use. I am vocal about it because I don't want to see anyone get hurt - I'm not against K&N. When you consider that they are welding the nut onto thin sheet metal - there is little margin for any error. I had two leak some time after installation so the leaks are not always readily apparent when the filters are first installed. The first leak I considered an anomaly and then three years later had more leak. Luckily two of the leaks were in car filters so there was no danger other than a mess and burning oil smell. It is interesting that the automotive filters are made in the US I believe and the Motorcycle filters are made in China, Mexico and Thailand. Both the automotive and motorcycle filters had leaking issues even being manufactured in several locations.
 
I've always used the BMW branded fluids, gaskets and oil filters while the bike was under warranty... Plus I own the BMW filter tool.

I'll probably maintain this same trend going forward, even though the bike is out of warranty now..
 
The Mahle filter is identical to the OEM BMW filter - as a matter of fact the BMW filter has the Mahle name printed on it. Sam filter wrench. I am pretty sure the K&N will used the same filter wrench but I am not sure if the filter nut welded on the filter will interfere with how far the filter wrench fits onto the filter. Again - I won't use K&N filters due to issues I have had with them leaking oil.
 
The correct K&N filter for the R18 is the KN-164, not KN-204. But It does have the 17MM nut. Don't you think they have taken care of the manufacturing defect by now?
I am with you Mike ... The KN-164 is the one for the R18 ... everybody is welcome to use which ever one you like ... absolutely your own business ... I for one use the K&N and had no problems with it ... and I also agree with Mike that by now they would have fixed this issue.
 
I just bought three Mahle OC 306 filters from some website that's linked to Amazon for $7.99 each.

The price was cheap enough that I felt comfortable taking a risk. They actually arrived today....and in Amazon warehouse packaging to boot.

Here's the direct link if anyone's still in the market for these. I also own a BMW i3 Rex (Range Extender) who's built-in 650cc two-cylinder scooter engine uses the same parts-matching oil filter with Alcina, making these filters all the more important for me.

Mike

P.S. I don't shill for this site. I actually never heard of them until I stumbled upon these in a web search.

https://tools.woot.com/offers/mahle-oc-306-mahle-oil-filter-6
 
I am with you Mike ... The KN-164 is the one for the R18 ... everybody is welcome to use which ever one you like ... absolutely your own business ... I for one use the K&N and had no problems with it ... and I also agree with Mike that by now they would have fixed this issue.
They have had this problem on and off from 2016 through 2024 - you may have not had a problem but that does not mean you won't, and if you do, an oiled up rear tire can be catastrophic.
 
I just bought three Mahle OC 306 filters from some website that's linked to Amazon for $7.99 each.

The price was cheap enough that I felt comfortable taking a risk. They actually arrived today....and in Amazon warehouse packaging to boot.

Here's the direct link if anyone's still in the market for these. I also own a BMW i3 Rex (Range Extender) who's built-in 650cc two-cylinder scooter engine uses the same parts-matching oil filter with Alcina, making these filters all the more important for me.

Mike

P.S. I don't shill for this site. I actually never heard of them until I stumbled upon these in a web search.

https://tools.woot.com/offers/mahle-oc-306-mahle-oil-filter-6
I buy stuff from woot on occasion. The sight is owned by Amazon. I just ordered 3 filters.
 
They have had this problem on and off from 2016 through 2024 - you may have not had a problem but that does not mean you won't, and if you do, an oiled up rear tire can be catastrophic.
I do appreciate that you are trying to save me from myself, which is a futile attempt (trust me on that one) ;) but You seem very set against K&N and I just don't quite understand that ... now I don't have any affiliations with K&N other than the fact that I really like the convenience of having that 17mm hex protrusion on that filter that makes it so easy to change ... but let me follow you logic all the way down the 'Rabbit Hole' ... because of some faulty filters throughout the years, you are flat out condemning all their filter products with that feature (or maybe all their products?) ... but you did buy a R18 motorcycle that had (first hand experience here) at least 3 major recalls ... the first one was easy ... a under lubricated drive line ... easy fix, a spray did the trick ... the second one was much bigger, headlights falling apart on the TC and B versions ... in the best case the light would suddenly go off to the side ... in the worst, you are left in darkness. And then there is the big one! A reverse that could set your bike ablaze ... and you still bought that death trap ??? 😆 ... anyway ... this is just stretching things to the nth degree of silliness and everybody is entitled to their opinion ;)

One little add on, I did have a leaky filter before ... but it leaked at the seam ... it put a few drops on my rear wheel ... but not any more than the average drips from cages on a red light/stop light.

And a second add on ... Mahle does make very reliable products ... but I like the convenience of the K&N
 
Rather than sourcing a K&N filter and the oil and the crush washer, I have found the price for an oil change kit from Beemer Boneyard to be the easiest way to get my supplies.

I have ordered and had my stuff delivered in two days. I have asked a question on a weekend and received an email reply the same day. I forget the guy's name, but he is great to work with and sources high quality stuff.

Their stuff ships from NJ and I am in PA, so your experience may differ if you are farther away.

Just my 2 cents...
 
Rather than sourcing a K&N filter and the oil and the crush washer, I have found the price for an oil change kit from Beemer Boneyard to be the easiest way to get my supplies.

I have ordered and had my stuff delivered in two days. I have asked a question on a weekend and received an email reply the same day. I forget the guy's name, but he is great to work with and sources high quality stuff.

Their stuff ships from NJ and I am in PA, so your experience may differ if you are farther away.

Just my 2 cents...
Looks like a pretty good option to me. I will keep them in mind... Thanks.
 
I do appreciate that you are trying to save me from myself, which is a futile attempt (trust me on that one) ;) but You seem very set against K&N and I just don't quite understand that ... now I don't have any affiliations with K&N other than the fact that I really like the convenience of having that 17mm hex protrusion on that filter that makes it so easy to change ... but let me follow you logic all the way down the 'Rabbit Hole' ... because of some faulty filters throughout the years, you are flat out condemning all their filter products with that feature (or maybe all their products?) ... but you did buy a R18 motorcycle that had (first hand experience here) at least 3 major recalls ... the first one was easy ... a under lubricated drive line ... easy fix, a spray did the trick ... the second one was much bigger, headlights falling apart on the TC and B versions ... in the best case the light would suddenly go off to the side ... in the worst, you are left in darkness. And then there is the big one! A reverse that could set your bike ablaze ... and you still bought that death trap ??? 😆 ... anyway ... this is just stretching things to the nth degree of silliness and everybody is entitled to their opinion ;)

One little add on, I did have a leaky filter before ... but it leaked at the seam ... it put a few drops on my rear wheel ... but not any more than the average drips from cages on a red light/stop light.

And a second add on ... Mahle does make very reliable products ... but I like the convenience of the K&N
I am in no way against K&N. I simply experienced problems with K&N's design of their filter that has the removal nut welded to the sheet metal body. The weld integrity of the application of the removal nut is very critical and it is simply too easy to have a minor issue in the manufacturing process create a possibility of an oil leak as they have demonstrated many times over the years. The internal components and materials of the K&N are of very good quality - I have cut open many filters over the years and their filters are really good. I had one situation where when pulling into my driveway, I thought I had a flat tire, it turned out that the K&N filter had leaked oil all over my rear tire and left boot. I had just returned from riding over the Los Laureles Grade near my home and this road has tight turns guard rails and steep drop offs. I very easily could have been killed if this leak had started earlier. The other leaks I experienced probably would not have resulted in personal injury as the filters were on autos but could have resulted in an engine fire due to oil leaking onto the exhaust. On the R18 the oil filter is situated in the center of the engine directly in front of the rear tire. A leak at this point would deposit oil directly on the ground in front of the tire and onto the tire itself. I simply warn people of this potential issue because it happened to me several times over quite a few years and I think that the risk is simply not outweighed by having a nut that makes it easy to remove the filter. It might take 30 seconds longer to use a filter wrench to remove a filter. Also on the R18 engine the filter nut is somewhat more exposed and could be subjected to being impacted and this could also cause a leak in the filter housing. I have no bone to pick with K&N other than what I see as a poor design on a critical component. I am an Engineer by trade and understand manufacturing processes very well. I would really feel bad if I found out someone was injured or killed if I did not say something. Use the K&N if you want - I have done my best to clearly voice my concerns. If you feel that using the K&N filter and the convenience of having the removal nut outweighs your personal safety go right ahead. We take risks every time we ride without adding additional risks. I can say with reasonable certainty - if you had experienced what I have with these filters , you too would stop using them and would warn others not to use them.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top