3D printed parts

Ulrich

First off, I not 100% sure if this is the correct category ... but it is some sort of 'Modification'.
Anyway, I ride without my windscreen most of the time and the holes for the windscreen frame and the one in the center fastener/cover annoyed me a bit.
IMG_20220826_095049092.jpg

So I came up with the idea to 3D print me some plugs for that, they look something like this.

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 9.47.36 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 9.48.02 AM.png

I used 95A TPU for the material and they came out (IMO) pretty well

IMG_20220826_095032478.jpg

I tried to attach the .STL files for printing, but I wasn't able to do so. Send me a private chat and I will do my best to get the files to you.
No worries about copyrights all the files I use are created by me ... and I say: Have at it :)

If anybody else has any useful printable parts pertaining to the R18 please post them as well so we all can benefit from it.

First off, I not 100% sure if this is the correct category ... but it is some sort of 'Modification'.
Anyway, I ride without my windscreen most of the time and the holes for the windscreen frame and the one in the center fastener/cover annoyed me a bit.
View attachment 6644

So I came up with the idea to 3D print me some plugs for that, they look something like this.

View attachment 6645 View attachment 6646

I used 95A TPU for the material and they came out (IMO) pretty well

View attachment 6647

I tried to attach the .STL files for printing, but I wasn't able to do so. Send me a private chat and I will do my best to get the files to you.
No worries about copyrights all the files I use are created by me ... and I say: Have at it :)

If anybody else has any useful printable parts pertaining to the R18 please post them as well so we all can benefit from it.
You could post them on thingiverse :) That would be helpful to many folks.

Well, here I go again. I know the BMW engineers have thought all these things through ... but, when I really get on it and flog her a bit, my speedo vibrates like crazy. Usually it is nice and smooth, but when I demand power it bounces so bad that I am a bit worries about the needle and the electronics inside.
So I thought I can do something about that.
I don't want to rigid mount it ... there was a reason BMW rubber mounted it, but I want to dampen the vibrations.
So I came up with this.

Speedo02.PNGSpeedo01.PNG

It goes between the Speedo housing and the bracket. I printed it with TPU (95A) and with thin walls and a 20% infill to keep it very soft.
The finished product looks like this.

IMG_20220925_075934155_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220925_075925195_HDR.jpg

There is a second post ..

Attachments

• IMG_20220925_075934155_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220925_075934155_HDR.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 1
The damper is the same thickness as the gap .. so it really doesn't add any push to the spacing .. but it does really cut back on the bouncing, here is it installed.
As I said it goes between the bracket and the Speedo housing

IMG_20220924_151527541.jpg

And then just sits there to catch the vibrations
IMG_20220924_152018220.jpg
IMG_20220924_152839119.jpg

After I installed it I went out on the highway and really flogged her .. well north of 4000 revs and the speedo did not bounce !!!
I still can easily move the speedo ... so the rubber mount idea is still intact ... time will tell if this was a good idea or not.
After all ... this wouldn't be the first time in my life where I had to say "... seemed like a good idea at the time"
If you like the STL file .. shoot me a PM and I will be happy to share.

I like it and actually forgot all about it until you replied ... I used to get this massive tachometer vibration when getting on it (Freeway on ramp etc.) but I don't anymore .. so I take that as a win!

I can not attach it here or to a PM ... I think the only way is to PM me your contact email and I can send you the .stl file .. your friend will have to use his own 'slicer' to do the prep for whatever printer he has .. I can send you the G-Code as well but I am not sure if the parameters will work for his printer.

Edit: You may want to ask him if he can print 'TPU' that is a flexible/rubbery material .. some printers don't like it ... mine has a really hard time with it.

Back