2021 R18FE not starting well

Hey friends, I have a call into my dealership but I wanted to reach out to the hive to get some ideas.
I just bought this new 2021 R18 first edition in February and lately it's been starting a bit rough. I have around 1900 km on it, and had the first service done by the dealer.
One of the first things I noticed is that instead of it springing to life and shaking the handlebars, it's sort of most of the time lumbering to life.
The last few days though I've noticed it's been tough to start. For example, yesterday and today I held a starter for about 5 seconds and the bike didn't start. Like the engine, just wouldn't fire. As soon as I released the starter and did it again, the bike fired up although today it kept stalling.
Here's a link to a quick little YouTube short I made

When it finally did start I actually had to flick the throttle to get it from stalling.
In terms of fuel ⛽ I use only 91 octane here in Ontario and 93 when I can get it. I've been noticing through the last couple tanks of gas which have all been from different gas stations in different cities, So I'm not sure it's a fuel quality issue but maybe.
Anyone else have this
issue?

My R18 went through a similar phase when it didn't have many miles on it (under 1.5k), where sometimes it wouldn't start on the first go and I had to try the starter a second time, then sometimes it would stumble when it did start. It's smoothed out and hasn't been an issue in a while, at least a thousand miles and probably longer. Maybe I got some bad gas and it took a while to work it all out or maybe it was something else.

Hey friends, I have a call into my dealership but I wanted to reach out to the hive to get some ideas.
I just bought this new 2021 R18 first edition in February and lately it's been starting a bit rough. I have around 1900 km on it, and had the first service done by the dealer.
One of the first things I noticed is that instead of it springing to life and shaking the handlebars, it's sort of most of the time lumbering to life.
The last few days though I've noticed it's been tough to start. For example, yesterday and today I held a starter for about 5 seconds and the bike didn't start. Like the engine, just wouldn't fire. As soon as I released the starter and did it again, the bike fired up although today it kept stalling.
Here's a link to a quick little YouTube short I made

When it finally did start I actually had to flick the throttle to get it from stalling.
In terms of fuel ⛽ I use only 91 octane here in Ontario and 93 when I can get it. I've been noticing through the last couple tanks of gas which have all been from different gas stations in different cities, So I'm not sure it's a fuel quality issue but maybe.
Anyone else have this
issue?
First off, this bike is fuel injected.

Secondly, your bike has been out in the rain. Rain = potential electrical problems.

Rough starts on a fuel injected bike can be several things.

1. Water in fuel tank or in fuel.... Water is heavier than gasoline, high pressure fuel pump picks it up and runs water into the injection system.
2. There's a fuel enrichment set up of some sort on a fuel injection system that's used during start up. It's an electrical solenoid of some sort, or perhaps mapped with more fuel per volume of air. It's possible the electrical connection is wet or shorting out in some way, not injecting the fuel at start up.

Since your's is getting worse, I'd get something in your fuel as an additive that takes moisture out of your fuel. Secondly, I would always fill up my fuel tank completely before parking or storing the bike in the garage, so as to prevent condensation of moisture in the tank from forming. A full fuel tank won't allow condensation to form. I'd do a big ride, burn off as much of the old fuel as you can, then refill the tank completely topped off, before you park it in the garage. You might have moisture in the fuel already in the tank that's causing the problem, too, gumming up the injection system. High humidity areas is always a problem with fuel with ethanol in it.

I had a similar problem last year. Would show up intermittently after riding for a bit. After multiple trips to the dealer they were able to trace it to a defective ignition coil. When you are able to get the bike going only after giving it some throttle, could you check to see if both cylinders are firing or just one? That might help determine if it's the coil.

Last edited:
Back