Homage Seat Modification for more Padding?

cabanza

Has anyone modified their Homage seat to add extra padding? I like my solo seat but it's a little hard on bumps. I've thought about adding an inch or two of padding. Thoughts?

I've added a high quality lambswool seat cover with 20mm of gel. I intially tried no gel, then 10mm of gel then a second layer of gel (so 20mm).

I'm reasonably skinny (6ft and 12 stone) with a boney bum. The homage seat was a 45 minute seat for me.... mostly pressure points more so then shape or seat position. The 20mm of gel negated the pressure point and it is now a 90 minute seat.....

A nice thing about this approach is that I can add or remove the cover (1 minute, no tools) for the raw homage seat look... or if it is going to rain....

Also, i mounted my homage seat on raised bushes that give the seat more give.... about 1 inch.

I also run a +20mm wilbers shock that is much more compliant.

As far as my thoughts go.... order of seat comfort in my case is..... 1st shock, 2nd seat cover with gel and 3rd urethane bushes

20231201_152823.jpg

Off course, one can just ride really fast on windy roads.... scaring yourself every now and again.... I don't think about my bum when doing that.

Other photos..

20240126_113406.jpg 20240126_113440.jpg 20240126_113519.jpg

As an aside.... raising the seat an inch changed the riding position big time for me... plus adding 1" spacers to the bar risers.

Last edited:
I've added a high quality lambswool seat cover with 20mm of gel. I intially tried no gel, then 10mm of gel then a second layer of gel (so 20mm).

I'm reasonably skinny (6ft and 12 stone) with a boney bum. The homage seat was a 45 minute seat for me.... mostly pressure points more so then shape or seat position. The 20mm of gel negated the pressure point and it is now a 90 minute seat.....

A nice thing about this approach is that I can add or remove the cover (1 minute, no tools) for the raw homage seat look... or if it is going to rain....

Also, i mounted my homage seat on raised bushes that give the seat more give.... about 1 inch.

As far as my thoughts go.... order of seat comfort in my case is..... 1st shock, 2nd seat cover with gel and 3rd urethane bushes

View attachment 12963

Off course, one can just ride really fast on windy roads.... scaring yourself every now and again.... I don't think about my bum when doing that.

Other photos..

View attachment 12966 View attachment 12964 View attachment 12965

As an aside.... raising the seat an inch changed the riding position big time for me... plus adding 1" spacers to the bar risers.
So is your padded seat removable?

So is your padded seat removable?
Yes it is removable... is effectively fitted and two straps secure it underneath. I am surprised how good it is.... it doesn't move, even when sliding side to side to hang off in fast corners.... the gel also doesn't move. I also like the bare homage seat look.... so being removable was a requirement for me.

View attachment 12963

Other photos..

That is a very nice solution. I am happy with my standard Bagger seat but your approach definitely allows extra comfort and therefore extends the cruising distance one can endure. Give us something to think about. Thumbs up for me.

View attachment 12963

Other photos..

Would you consider making the seat cover for me?

Would you consider making the seat cover for me?
I had it made by a local'ish lambswool seat cover maker (he'd made some sets for my cars), he is a business and made a pattern and would sell to you..... but, and it's is a big one, I live in the south of Australia.... I assume you are US based.... the $ would work in your favour, the postage not so much!

View attachment 12963

Other photos..

Smart move.

I had it made by a local'ish lambswool seat cover maker (he'd made some sets for my cars), he is a business and made a pattern and would sell to you..... but, and it's is a big one, I live in the south of Australia.... I assume you are US based.... the $ would work in your favour, the postage not so much!
Thanks you are right it would be cost prohibitive, I will try a local shop

Thanks you are right it would be cost prohibitive, I will try a local shop
No worries.... fwiw I think I paid $80aud.... for a high quality skin.... but he might have been doing me a favour.... internarional postage from Australia is crazy expensive though.

I had the same problem. Couldn't ride more than 40 minutes.
I bought a cheap gel seat cover from Amazon. Does the trick. I can ride 2 hours with no pain. Problem is that it moves and in not beautiful to see.
I call it the diaper!

Attachments

• IMG_20230818_122519.jpg
    IMG_20230818_122519.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230818_122457.jpg
    IMG_20230818_122457.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 14
Back