Auxiliary LED Running Headlights Installation

That’s just the bar to mount the lights for $80. The OEM light bar is $116 https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/...ng-conversion-accessories--equipment-packages. You still need the lights themselves, cables and a switch.
The left multifunction function switch is $644 and I didn’t need it. I was able to plug the OEM auxiliary light harness under the tank and run the lights w/o getting another multi switch if this makes any difference in your decision. Read all my earlier post on this forum and let know if you have any questions.

The left multifunction function switch is $644 and I didn’t need it. I was able to plug the OEM auxiliary light harness under the tank and run the lights w/o getting another multi switch if this makes any difference in your decision. Read all my earlier post on this forum and let know if you have any questions.
R18 Pure FE. You only require 1x harness ( p/n 61121542507 ) for the 2 auxiliary lights ? Thanks , Brett.

R18 Pure FE. You only require 1x harness ( p/n 61121542507 ) for the 2 auxiliary lights ?
R18 Pure FE. You only require 1x harness ( p/n 61121542507 ) for the 2 auxiliary lights ? Thanks , Brett
That is correct Brett. The harness you listed has two ends that plug into the two BMW auxiliary lights. The other end plugs below the gas tank on the right side of the frame. Make sure that it plugs into the plug with matching two color coded wires.

Disconnected electrical and fuel fittings under fuel tank. Lifts off easily . See photos of multi grips ( with added ’squares‘ of electrical tape on the jaws so as to compress the white squares ) ; the 2x white buttons pictures 2 and 5 have to be pushed in at same time and fuel line easily pulls off. l was adding bmw wiring for auxiliary lights . Picture 4 is the unused connector for auxiliary lights. Remove this and connect new wiring for auxiliary lights. There are two spare connectors - easy to see which one to use as color coded wires.

Attachments

• 222A623B-2669-4BF1-B91F-A4611C04CEDB.jpeg
    222A623B-2669-4BF1-B91F-A4611C04CEDB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
  • E809AE21-C946-43DC-BD91-AE8988EC0511.jpeg
    E809AE21-C946-43DC-BD91-AE8988EC0511.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
  • 7ABF797A-CA25-4137-8AD2-DAA436368A51.jpeg
    7ABF797A-CA25-4137-8AD2-DAA436368A51.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
  • 65D3F971-5C79-4241-BB62-31B266A1948B.jpeg
    65D3F971-5C79-4241-BB62-31B266A1948B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
  • CF2878C7-3407-4A38-8872-BC4C9E385D54.jpeg
    CF2878C7-3407-4A38-8872-BC4C9E385D54.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
What's the color code for the connector that we should be looking for in the pictures below the gas tank (brown & blue)?

I'm thinking the B models might have both ends pre-wired; however, just not connected.

I may save this project for next winter...

Last edited:
The new harness l purchased with the white tag ( one wire brown and the other ? ) match the connector with same colors ( 2 wires). It’s obvious which one to connect to .

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think an additional 1A (Amp) of load to the headlight (Running Light) circuit will trigger an error. The BMW OEM Auxiliary Lights draw slightly less than one Amp (LED technology).

I added the Auxiliary Lights to my R18 Bagger and used the dash accessory 12V socket located in the dashboard to power the Aux Lights; it is switched ON when the bike is started, and can remain ON after the bike is shut off for a few minutes (5 min. on my bike).

The R18 B is already pre-wired for the Auxiliary Lights; which is typically switched ON/OFF via the left hand switch control tree on the TC, that part is approximately $600. I used a simple push button, latching switch which illuminates when in the ON condition.

View attachment 9371View attachment 9372View attachment 9374
Looking at doing this with my 23 18B
Dealer said this will not work , do you have part numbers by any chance ?

I'm going to attempt an install of the light bar, lights, brackets and all parts for the aux lights on my stock 2021 R18 with cruise, has anyone DYI'd it as of yet, outside of their dealer? I do not have this switch yet, the only part I don't have but was curious if anyone's done their own install.
So, was this successful at all? I am travelling the same road…….(f)

So, was this successful at all? I am travelling the same road…….(f)
I know the auxiliary light wiring within the Model B fairing is pre wired and fairly easy to spot; the integration of the control tree switch is a whole different matter. I wound up installing a physical switch two years ago within the 12V DC accessory dashboard outlet and haven't had a need to pursue the button integration; however, I'm interested in taking this project on once time allows.

I marked up the below picture based on the earlier mentioned wiring description, as to which connectors "might" need to be mated up; perhaps this will help?

Screenshot_20231108-075356~2.png

I know the auxiliary light wiring within the Model B fairing is pre wired and fairly easy to spot; the integration of the control tree switch is a whole different matter. I wound up installing a physical switch two years ago within the 12V DC accessory dashboard outlet and haven't had a need to pursue the button integration; however, I'm interested in taking this project on once time allows.

I marked up the below picture based on the earlier mentioned wiring description, as to which connectors "might" need to be mated up; perhaps this will help?

View attachment 12218
Thanks for the quick reply Scott, I am planning the same, and I was going to power it up using the AUX power, if it trips anything, i'll just give it full noise from the batt...Button integration is looking painfully expensive with plenty of extra expense for fuck all result...imo :) I'll follow your lead as it's the most comprehensive i've seen, again thanks for your work....

Looking at doing this with my 23 18B
Dealer said this will not work , do you have part numbers by any chance ?
Hey zman. I had two BMW dealer tell me that I had to purchase the left handlebar switch at $600 plus. It turned out that I didn’t need it. I have the 2022 R18 with cruise 719 package. The only harness I needed was the auxiliary light harness part no 61121542507. I also had a dealership tell me that the harness plugs into the left handlebar switch. It obviously wasn’t long enough but it was long enough to plug in below the tank. Refer to Scott’s great photo on the plug with matching wires. On the TC model, one of the plugs is used. The R18 like yours and mine have two capped plugs that are not used. Uncapped the plug with matching wires to plug the auxiliary light harness. This should complete the connection. The lower portion of the left mode switch operates the auxiliary lights. You can ingrave the lower portion of the mode switch. I didn’t. Let me know if you have any concerns. Tony

Here are the installation instructions......
How did I miss this post with the attachment; this is the missing piece to figuring out the wiring for the Auxiliary Lights for the Model B using the Mode Switch on the LH Side Control Tree. Thank you for posting; it also includes the Gas Tank Removal Procedure (BONUS..!!!)

How did I miss this post with the attachment; this is the missing piece to figuring out the wiring for the Auxiliary Lights for the Model B using the Mode Switch on the LH Side Control Tree. Thank you for posting; it also includes the Gas Tank Removal Procedure (BONUS..!!!)
For the Bagger, none of the wiring is under the tank, I went through the tank removal for nothing. All of the wiring is behind the windscreen fairing. Current switch works but no stencil on the switch, you can get the TC switch with the icon for $310

Description
COMBINATION SWITCH LEFT
Qty
Part # 61 31 9 467 935
Price ea.
$309.66

FOR VEHICLES WITH ACC (CODE: X5DFA)

Attachments

• IMG_3080.jpg
    IMG_3080.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3079.jpg
    IMG_3079.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3077.jpg
    IMG_3077.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3076.jpg
    IMG_3076.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3073.jpg
    IMG_3073.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3072.jpg
    IMG_3072.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3071.jpg
    IMG_3071.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3070.jpg
    IMG_3070.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3069.jpg
    IMG_3069.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3081.jpg
    IMG_3081.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
For the Bagger, none of the wiring is under the tank, I went through the tank removal for nothing. All of the wiring is behind the windscreen fairing. Current switch works but no stencil on the switch, you can get the TC switch with the icon for $310

Description
COMBINATION SWITCH LEFT
Qty
Part # 61 31 9 467 935
Price ea.
$309.66

FOR VEHICLES WITH ACC (CODE: X5DFA)
Interesting post, the more that do the wiring the better, my parts are coming, so hopefully it will be before Christmas break. What was the connection between the switch and the new loom like? was it a plug or did you wire it to the terminal posts within the switching block ? (hope that makes sense)

I did not replace the switch, the stock one works you just dont have the icon on it. The wiring harness listed in this post may have been the wrong one for my application but all connections were good with the exception of the end that connects to the left and right blinker cables are male instead of female, so I had to cut the ends off the original blinkers to splice at the ends of the wiring harness. Other than that, it was an easy process once I found the harnesses under the windshield fairings.

Back