Adaptive Headlight Recall Update

My dealer told me used is exempt. Hopefully BMW can resolve this issue soon.
I spoke to an owner that's adhering to the stop sale and called BMW Motorrad. They got back to me.

So. the dealer that's complying told me he'd love to sell the bike, he can't for fear of getting authorized dealer status revoked.

Your dealer is lying and they apparently can't read. They aren't supposed to and they know it. It's a liability for the dealer and BMW to knowingly sell a vehicle under a safety recall. Your dealer simply doesn't care and likely told you they could if you pay cash or get it financed elsewhere. Anything that alerts BMW would be a flag. They've simply found a method to skirt the issue.

Imagine you getting a motorcycle with a faulty part and it fails during operation and you get injured. You could sue the shit out of a dealer for knowingly selling you the motorcycle with a known fault. The attorney would likely file against BMW and the dealer.

Here's the NHTSA recall:

"Please be reminded that it is a violation of federal law (The Safety Act) for you to sell, lease or deliver any
new motorcycle covered by this notification until the recall repair has been performed. This means that
dealers may not legally deliver new motorcycles to consumers until they are fixed or use/sell replacement
equipment/parts subject to this recall. Note also that substantial civil penalties apply to violations of the
Safety Act. Also, you should not sell, lease or deliver any used motorcycles subject to a safety recall until
the repair is completed
. Please follow any special instructions that we provide to you for the return or
disposition of recall parts."

Reactions: 425
I've looked at the possibility; however, the factory wiring harness was overly complex...

I'm sure the new light will be just as complicated... I'm sure we can find a better light... But hey, nobody will charge us more than BMW...

😂

I spoke to an owner that's adhering to the stop sale and called BMW Motorrad. They got back to me.

So. the dealer that's complying told me he'd love to sell the bike, he can't for fear of getting authorized dealer status revoked.

Your dealer is lying and they apparently can't read. They aren't supposed to and they know it. It's a liability for the dealer and BMW to knowingly sell a vehicle under a safety recall. Your dealer simply doesn't care and likely told you they could if you pay cash or get it financed elsewhere. Anything that alerts BMW would be a flag. They've simply found a method to skirt the issue.

Imagine you getting a motorcycle with a faulty part and it fails during operation and you get injured. You could sue the shit out of a dealer for knowingly selling you the motorcycle with a known fault. The attorney would likely file against BMW and the dealer.

Here's the NHTSA recall:

"Please be reminded that it is a violation of federal law (The Safety Act) for you to sell, lease or deliver any
new motorcycle covered by this notification until the recall repair has been performed. This means that
dealers may not legally deliver new motorcycles to consumers until they are fixed or use/sell replacement
equipment/parts subject to this recall. Note also that substantial civil penalties apply to violations of the
Safety Act. Also, you should not sell, lease or deliver any used motorcycles subject to a safety recall until
the repair is completed
. Please follow any special instructions that we provide to you for the return or
disposition of recall parts."
Yes your right.

I've looked at the possibility; however, the factory wiring harness was overly complex...

I'm sure the new light will be just as complicated... I'm sure we can find a better light... But hey, nobody will charge us more than BMW...

😂
Hahahaha ... yes leave it to a German engineer to overcomplicate things, the saying used to go ... if a German engineer can do it with 5 parts ... the Japanese Engineer can do it with 3 ... and the British with 9!! :LOL:

Back