Warm Right Foot

AV8OR

I had a warm right foot on yesterday's ride and after some on-seat looking around I, (first time!), noticed the right hand engine cylinder is locate closer to the seat than the left hand one. The reason is obvious and I find this a bit amusing more than anything. I ride with Daytona GTX boots, and one time with my Chuck Taylor high-tops on a very short errand ride. (I normally wear everything - dress for the slide not the ride).

Reactions: Vyk
indeed...one might not notice it at first on a boxer engine though that is the case. Interesting it caused the foot to get hot though that R18 engine is not baby sized like the older boxer jugs :)

The intake side of the cylinder is not going to be hot unless riding in 95+ temps. Even the exhaust valves have an oil cooler jacket around them. The R18 runs cooler than my Harley.

View attachment 6559
The right side is indeed closer. True of all boxers.

That's one of the best pictures of the bike I've seen. Awesome!

Also, don't forget that catalytic converters basically sit next to our feet on both sides.
That being said, this platform is one of the better thermally managed in regard to rider comfort that I've ridden, in terms of "big bikes".

This is one of the cooler running bikes I have ever owned, having the exhaust ports at the front in the air is smart. People who see the cylinders in front of the feet assume it's going to put a lot of heat on the legs, but in my experience it's pretty good, modern Harleys are way worse for heat on the leg.

It is a cool running machine and thanks everyone for input and that marvelous photo illustrating perfectly the cylinder offset. I gues everyone knows this is my first boxer engined motorcycle! :ROFLMAO:

The cylinder offset was smaller on the R1200C. I think this is because it had only two main bearings. The R18 has three.
If there was some way to lessen that offset, the R18 would like higher rpm’s.

Back