Valve Cover Fell Off

51rhC

Site Supporter
My left valve cover fell off on a recent ride. I just got it back from the 6,000 mile service a couple weeks prior. The fault was in the screws holding the brackets.
  • What are the specifications for the screws (brackets & spark plug)?
  • Any recommendations on where to purchase?
  • What are the torque specs?
  • Should loctite be used?
Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1094.jpeg
    IMG_1094.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1093.jpeg
    IMG_1093.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1092.jpeg
    IMG_1092.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
It would be great if only... a forum member posted this type of information......OH Wait...!!!

I think most of that stuff is Torqued at 8 to 10 Nm...

Screenshot_20240616-195247.png

My left valve cover fell off on a recent ride. I just got it back from the 6,000 mile service a couple weeks prior. The fault was in the screws holding the brackets.
  • What are the specifications for the screws (brackets & spark plug)?
  • Any recommendations on where to purchase?
  • What are the torque specs?
  • Should loctite be used?
Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Wonder if you can get the dealer to own some culpability here. If you’re not doing your own work, there’s no reason you’d have touched those. Leaves the dealer as the only party who had contact. Might be a fight, but I’d at least put on the gloves.

You can download the maintenance booklet..

Wonder if you can get the dealer to own some culpability here. If you’re not doing your own work, there’s no reason you’d have touched those. Leaves the dealer as the only party who had contact. Might be a fight, but I’d at least put on the gloves.

If the dealership was responsible.... It might be best if you start doing your own maintenance, that error would be considered incompetent for a professional mechanic...

If you you're responsible... Live and Learn, and don't do that again..

I can sell you pair of first edition covers with bmw special RS trim pieces (+$800) for around $1000. At least 1/2 of buying them from the dealer.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I'd love to have these on my bike as they look great on our R18's... however, the cost is the equivalent of a house payment for me. I'll pay the mortgage instead 🙄
That’s what credit cards are for. Your line of thinking is down right unAmerican. 😜

And besides I would have to spend an even more silly amount to replace them. So , thanks.

Back