Transmission Oil?

R18 Dan

Site Supporter
Newbie here, so don't flag me:cool:. Having massive 148 Miles on the odometer, start warring about my first 600 Mile service. The dealer gives me a heart atck quote about service. I'm a long-time rider and have 5 brand new bikes in the past. I always do my own basic maintenance and I never screwed up. My question is what is an alternative option for motor and transmition/pumpkin oil change. I have religiously used AMSOIL motorcycle/marine products in the past and never had a problem. $65.00 for a 1/2 L (1/8 US Galon) of oil is pretty stip. Any input is welcome. And what devices you are guys recommending doing a reset of the service warning light. if is already posted somewhere, please share.

Best,

Dan.

Simple Logic says BMW gives the contract to the lowest Bidder on all things they do not make in house, so ??? I am thinking BMW brands are just another way for BMW to make more money off my service work.....

I usually get my supplies from my Dealer, but have serviced my bikes often while on long trips using the filter and washers I carry and then I buy lubricants that meet spec, Over the last few years in the U.S., BMW labeled lubricants were sourced from Golden Spectro and in Europe from Castrol and then they switched to Shell and I believe that is now for both U.S. and Europe. So the same bikes with 3 different lubricant suppliers confirming it's the spec that matters, not the name on the label. Another example of labels v. spec is the G3 Gear Oil. G3 is just what BMW is calling it and it could just as well have been called Super Duper BMW Gear Oil as neither name is indicative of the lubricant's qualities as to spec (GL5 is spec and GL3 is very low below spec should someone mistaken G3 for GL3 Gear Oil). Anyway, we all have our favorites, but buying supplies meeting spec from a reputable company and then servicing at appropriate intervals will never be cause for the warranty to be in jeopardy as long as you keep receipts and log the work.

I hear you both. This is not my first bike and in the past, I have serviced well my babies, and never had a problem. I had a 2006 First Edition Yamaha Stratoliner 1.9L V Twin air/ oil cooled engine, similar to R18, and always change the Oils myself. In the wintertime, I use full synthetic Amsoil 10-40 motorcycle specific, and in summertime 20-50 motor oil. for the final drive was Amsoil, Marine grade 75-90. so if for contaminated by water it will provide lubrication for the final drive. Never had a problem. And just to mention, lately, in my FJR1300 I use Rotella T6, and had no problem. I do understand dealer wants to make money, but on my back. I already give my fair share to a dealer buying a bike. BMW is not a way to treat your customers in America. $65.00 for half a Liter ( 16.9 fl oz US) and there is a need for 3 bottles to do a service, is steep. Going with R18C's recommendation and do first service myself.

Newbie here, so don't flag me:cool:. Having massive 148 Miles on the odometer, start warring about my first 600 Mile service. The dealer gives me a heart atck quote about service. I'm a long-time rider and have 5 brand new bikes in the past. I always do my own basic maintenance and I never screwed up. My question is what is an alternative option for motor and transmition/pumpkin oil change. I have religiously used AMSOIL motorcycle/marine products in the past and never had a problem. $65.00 for a 1/2 L (1/8 US Galon) of oil is pretty stip. Any input is welcome. And what devices you are guys recommending doing a reset of the service warning light. if is already posted somewhere, please share.

Best,

Dan.
OBDLink LX plus “ Motoscan Pro” app ( android devices ) for resetting service warning light. Plugs in front of right side panel ( no need to remove ) ; be delicate when removing cover on plug for attachment of OBDLINK.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg