Tools

When we downsized our living arrangements, I gave away my non-essential tools - including torque wrench and drives, sockets, etc. to family.

Having just acquired the R18, my motivation to "tinker" has been reignited.

So, thinking only of the R18, and only for "tinkering" (mostly cosmetic) not for major work - I need to "restock" - so a few questions....
- Do I only need Torx or do I also need hex?
- Do I need male & female, or is male only enough?
- What's the largest Torx / Hex I'll need (T60?/mm)
- What's the minimum & maximum torque setting I'll need (Nm -for a torgue wrench)
Anything else I've missed would be appreciated.
TIA

There are few hex bolts that were pretty tight from the factory on my R18C and i ruined one of them using torx head.
Luckily, i was able to take it out and replace it but now i use hex on hex and torx on torx only.

Here is a link to the on line owner's manual. Starting on pp 80 most routine servicing information is found to include torque values, etc. There are also some ewe tube videos you can find on this site and/or with a google search (a nice series was shared by a BMWOA member you may enjoy watching), that covers most of the day to day tinkering as well. While I have a variety of tool sets I don't think you need to replace everything you once had to take good care of your R18 so you could easily piece a kit together after reviewing the manual and videos or bite the bullet for something like this that is about the cost of a new rear tire.

Enjoy 🍻

https://manuals.bmw-motorrad.com/manuals/BA-Extern/IN/BA-INTERNET-COM/PDF/R_0L13_RM_1119_07.pdf

https://www.beemershop.com/product/...MIx6eJgLvZ_QIVyRvUAR0MwwF8EAQYBCABEgI1efD_BwE

Last edited:
When we downsized our living arrangements, I gave away my non-essential tools - including torque wrench and drives, sockets, etc. to family.

Having just acquired the R18, my motivation to "tinker" has been reignited.

So, thinking only of the R18, and only for "tinkering" (mostly cosmetic) not for major work - I need to "restock" - so a few questions....
- Do I only need Torx or do I also need hex?
- Do I need male & female, or is male only enough?
- What's the largest Torx / Hex I'll need (T60?/mm)
- What's the minimum & maximum torque setting I'll need (Nm -for a torgue wrench)
Anything else I've missed would be appreciated.
TIA
Depends on your definition of tinkering & cosmetic is. Generally speaking the largest fasteners will be for control or major components. Torque values go up with fastener size. Think what connects the engine to the frame, handlebar & foot peg mounts. Cosmetic only elements will be smaller size & torque. Things like oil drain/refill plugs will be in the middle. Most fasteners are Torx, but some are hex.

You could go bare bones with something like a CruzTools BMW kit. It will give you tools for the most common fasteners across BMWs meant for on the road or infrequent garage use. I carry one of those on my bikes when I travel, but have a full complement of Torx & hex sockets (male & female) & t-handles for home use, alongside a pair of torque wrenches (high & low). If you are just doing cosmetic stuff, the CruzTools kit is probably good enough.

If you’re looking to just grab a tool kit and not piece-meal it, the Motohansa Tool Kit Beemer Boneyard sells is REALLY good.

If you want to piece-meal it, Wera (on Amazon) has some kits I’d highly recommend. $250 for their 3/8 set Then order their 3/8 torx set and a Torx & Hex L-Key and a 3/8 torque wrench and you can do most everything to the bike. You’ll have to buy a T55/T60 eventually but you’ll be out $500 going the Wera route BUT when you remember the 600 and 6000 mile services are going to put you out around $1500 anyway, it’s money well spent :)

For a portable tool roll, to keep on the bike, the Motohansa seems like a great choice. Can anyone comment on whether the SBV is worth the extra cost? They both seem like quality sets.

Back