Three Amigos

nielsm

732D64A8-78EC-4896-8271-B2C8D9B36C5C.jpegThought I’d share a picture of my three amigos, the boxer engine motorcycles in my collection.

On the left is the oldest and smallest capacity a 1972 R75/5 with 750cc.

In the middle is my 2012 R1200GSA with 1170cc.

Finally the Big Boxer, my 2021 R18 Classic with 1801cc.

While I still own 3 boxers, I previously owned a 1998 R1100GS and a 2007 R1200R. I’m a fan of this engine config and really love the newest edition Big Boxer.

Is your R18 your first Boxer motorcycle?

I have owned my R18 for nearly Four months, I enjoy the bike, but where are the others ??? I have not seen one single R18 on the streets anywhere since BMW started selling them ? And another note ! I ordered a crash bar for my bike and a locking fuel cap not seen those either.....

I have owned my R18 for nearly Four months, I enjoy the bike, but where are the others ??? I have not seen one single R18 on the streets anywhere since BMW started selling them ? And another note ! I ordered a crash bar for my bike and a locking fuel cap not seen those either.....
Seems to be regional for seeing other ones. I see R18s around me in the Northeast USA all the time. A local Bikes & Breakfast typically has 10-15% of the bikes that show are R18s, but it is always BMW & MotoGuzzi heavy anyway.

Supply chain is certainly still affecting a lot of items around the globe. The parts I’d gotten for my R18 (Weekender seat, back rest, luggage rack from Wunderlich, and the frame bag) all arrived in a few weeks. So I’ve gotten a mix of OEM & 3rd party parts, with reasonable wait times on both even though they were ordered at varying times. It could be some items are more limited availability than others.

I'm in MA and spend on average 1hr driving every day. Have not seen a single R18 on the roads.
I live about 50 miles north of NYC so given my proximity to a major population center that might explain the higher incidence. Where in MA? I was riding in south western Massachusetts a month ago and saw a couple others while I was there. To be fair, I have seen other R18s on weekends, never noticed on weekdays, but then again, that’s when more bikes are out anyway around me & I’m out on fun roads.

Now ironically, I’ve not seen a single Harley Pan America around me at all. I finally saw one about a 6 weeks ago on the A4 between Heathrow & London.

I'm in MA and spend on average 1hr driving every day. Have not seen a single R18 on the roads.
I saw one pretty much every other day in the mornings. It was sitting at a breakfast place on my morning route. Since I got the bike, nada. My dealer said they sold quite a few and, I believe, the most of any dealer in the area. I’m starting to wonder if they were all bought as garage art…

View attachment 5880Thought I’d share a picture of my three amigos, the boxer engine motorcycles in my collection.

On the left is the oldest and smallest capacity a 1972 R75/5 with 750cc.

In the middle is my 2012 R1200GSA with 1170cc.

Finally the Big Boxer, my 2021 R18 Classic with 1801cc.

While I still own 3 boxers, I previously owned a 1998 R1100GS and a 2007 R1200R. I’m a fan of this engine config and really love the newest edition Big Boxer.

Is your R18 your first Boxer motorcycle?
Beautiful! The R18 is most definitely not my first boxer. It's my....7th...

I live about 50 miles north of NYC so given my proximity to a major population center that might explain the higher incidence. Where in MA? I was riding in south western Massachusetts a month ago and saw a couple others while I was there. To be fair, I have seen other R18s on weekends, never noticed on weekdays, but then again, that’s when more bikes are out anyway around me & I’m out on fun roads.

Now ironically, I’ve not seen a single Harley Pan America around me at all. I finally saw one about a 6 weeks ago on the A4 between Heathrow & London.
Cold Spring ?

I live 90 miles south of the geographic center of the US (48 adjacent states). The big boxer is just starting to show up around here.

Back