The one that got away…

motoring

Story time…what is the one bike you sold or did not buy that you regret.

Sure, i will start. Got a, think it was r100 bmw that had auxiliary gas tanks on the side can’t remember if it had a café S faring on it or not though it did have the short S bars on it. Previous owner had it mapped…3-D?map I forget what the expression is. That seems a tear down of the entire engine down to the block and measure everything or shape things so that it’s perfectly balanced…traded it in on a new R1200 RT year 84+ I think it was. So yeah that was my regret letting that bike go.

Reactions: Vyk
CCM...(500 BSA)..............After loosing one of the gears decided to sell it for $1500 $AU
about 30 years ago...
Honda CB100 ...used to be my favaroite little run about.....orig old Gold Tank model

SOLD a DUCATI SPORT CLASSIC 1000S Biposto, passed up on a DUCATI MONSTER S4R, I miss the luggage space of my R1200 GS Adventure vs the R18 B... If I didn't work for the City and was financially well off - I'd have a bike for everyday of the week..

1975 Honda TL 250 four stroke trials bike, it was a bit heavy for trials but the tractability was awesome, bought used in 1977 for 700.00, ended up trading it for a road racing bicycle in 1979. What a fun bike to crawl around on. And in 1993 I traded a racing mountain bike for a 1976 R90/6, it was well used, but I got about 8 years out of it and passed it on, would be really fun to have it now for a complete rebuild.

Last edited:
72 H1 500 triple, chambers, Barnett clutch. When that bike hit the power band, it screamed! I had a 74 H2 750 triple, that I swear, the 500 was faster.

Last edited:
Sold my Africa Twin earlier this year because there was a lot of overlap with my 1200 GSA and I was making space in the garage for a new bike for my sweetie. I think I will miss that bike for some time. It was just enough lighter and lower than my GS it made for a really pleasant bike to ride in the city, where the roads are garbage. The engine was great as well.

Passed on a super low mileage Sportster 72 with the bike chrome flake paint maybe 10 years ago. They switched to sparkles later on, only using the flake for one year. That paint job still looks high end custom, replicating it would probably cost as much as I could have bought the whole bike for.

Sold a Triumph Speedmaster a few years back and actually reached out to the person I sold it to to try to buy it back two year later. They would not, lol. Of course, if I still had that bike I probably wouldn't have gotten the R18, so I guess that worked out fine. That little parallel twin punched above it's weight.

I sold my BMW R80 Paris Dakar. I acquired the bike in Germany and replaced it with the R100 Paris Dakar. Id still like the R80 around as a true dual sport. BMW has fallen too far from the mark with the GS and its more a sport tourer. That R80 could climb trees :)

I sold my BMW R80 Paris Dakar. I acquired the bike in Germany and replaced it with the R100 Paris Dakar. Id still like the R80 around as a true dual sport. BMW has fallen too far from the mark with the GS and its more a sport tourer. That R80 could climb trees :)
I wish they offered a true dual sport, in a lightweight package...say 350-400 lbs.

I don't have anything ultra cool like you guys as I've only been riding for ten years.

I do wish I had kept my first motorcycle though. Mostly for nostalgic reasons. It was a blue 05 Suzuki M50 cruiser.
I sold it because it was taking up space and I found out later from a VIN search that it was totaled and sold for scraps. It was a great bike, maybe too big for a first bike but it worked out in the end.
I didn't get another cruiser until I got my first R18FE. The base model FE I traded in recently... may potentially become one of these in the future. I do like my TC but it just isn't as... stylish... or cool as the base model. Maybe I'll pick up another one in the future... attach a sidecar on it =) .

I did have a couple of near misses that I am glad not to have purchased in hindsight.
I was in line to buy a HD Pan America when it first came out. But the local dealership sold it to a walk in couple of days before I was to come in. I was NOT happy. But it turns out they have a lot of issues and I was able to pick up a Husqvarna Norden 901 right when it came out. I'm happy for it.

When I totaled my first gen BMW S1000XR, I was convinced that I wanted to get a second gen XR. I test rode it, then a R1250GS... Got the GS instead. As much as I love the XR (I'll end up with another one eventually)... I am extremely happy that I got the GS. That bike opened up a whole new world of riding. I don't have it anymore but I have a soft spot for that bike now.

I sold a 2012 HD Fatboy in 2015. It was capable of tremendous acceleration and had the Vance and Hines thunder pipes.
harley.jpg

Back