Summer of 2022 was too hot to ride in south central USA

• Thread starter Deleted member 1344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1344

I spent less time on a motorcycle this summer than previous years. So I checked the weather back in1983 when it was crazy hot. The locals said 1980 was the worst so I checked that too.
2022 was cooler than either 1980 or 1983.............climate cooling I guess.
high temp compare.jpg

I bought the TC model a couple weeks ago. My very first ride was near Cherokee, NC. Going up a fairly substantial hill, ran into a traffic jam from an accident. We were crawling a few feet at a time for half an hour, uphill. Got a warning message on the screen that the bike was overheating. :-(

I bought the TC model a couple weeks ago. My very first ride was near Cherokee, NC. Going up a fairly substantial hill, ran into a traffic jam from an accident. We were crawling a few feet at a time for half an hour, uphill. Got a warning message on the screen that the bike was overheating. :-(
I rode my TC from FL to NC (Raleigh area) the 4th of July weekend. There was a Ron of traffic on I95, and we experienced stop n go ( actually crawling) for what seemd like forever, and never go any warning ⚠️. I was looking for it, but nothing. 😬🤔

Strange, one got hot and the other did not...wonder if going uphill had anything to do with it. Also, maybe with two up vs one up on board?
Well that...or more likely due to BMW 'brainstorm' of an idea to design a new air/oil only cooled engine when they had a perfectly good platform from which to build bigger from by tweaking the R1250 to a larger size.

I get it, they wanted everyone to see the BIG JUGS and nothing else such as water cooling. Don't they know big jugs can get hot when in warm situation just like they do on humans...or so I have been told 🎭

Have not read a lot of post about overheating but with these R18 engines not have the benefit of water cooling added it leaves one in a pickle at times I would think. Seems it has not happened to many on the site it seems 🔥

Strange, one got hot and the other did not...wonder if going uphill had anything to do with it. Also, maybe with two up vs one up on board?
Well that...or more likely due to BMW 'brainstorm' of an idea to design a new air/oil only cooled engine when they had a perfectly good platform from which to build bigger from by tweaking the R1250 to a larger size.

I get it, they wanted everyone to see the BIG JUGS and nothing else such as water cooling. Don't they know big jugs can get hot when in warm situation just like they do on humans...or so I have been told 🎭

Have not read a lot of post about overheating but with these R18 engines not have the benefit of water cooling added it leaves one in a pickle at times I would think. Seems it has not happened to many on the site it seems 🔥
It was pretty concerning. Had to use hill assist a lot during that episode. Was a pretty steep hill. Ended up having to shut off the bike during the longer stand-still times.

In that situation, I prefer to shut the bike down rather than risk damage. Those beautiful jugs need moving air to stay alive.

Back