Subwoofer: add dynamat?

moleculo

For those of us with the subwoofers in the hard bags, what are the thoughts about lining them with dynamat to help improve the bass sound a bit?

Not familiar with that. Would it reduce the volume of the bag? I already can't get an armored riding jacket into the bag.

I know a bit more about audio than I do about bikes. My impression of the subwoofers is that they are undersized, and/or the bag is poorly designed as a subwoofer enclosure. They bottom out and distort way too early.

Like some others, I changed my sound settings to "balanced," and then got into the graphic equalizer and pushed my bass up to 5. That sounds better at high volumes than the "bass" mode.

I think we are asking a LOT in terms of sound quality, especially while humming down a highway stretch... This is equivalent to complaining about your BOSE 5.1 surround sound system, not sounding all that great during a category 5 hurricane which was blowing through your in-house theater room. Sound is the movement of air within a space, the motorcycle environment doesn't really offer an enclosed space; that in itself is a huge challenge.

The use of dynamat ... Just pack more clothes and such within your cases (same effect as dynamat); I keep things simple, I bought a bike with a sound system, not a mobile RV home theater. In my eyes, mission-completion, I no longer have to listen to music within my helmet system on a GS Adventure..

I've compared the R18 Marshall system against my buddies HD sound systems; hands-down, we all agreed the R28 is a much better sounding system.

I agree with the "balance" setting, I don't think that my rear speakers even matter or factor into the sound quality while riding.

My $0.02 ... Save your money..

Interesting Idea. I've used Dynamat (or similar) in several vehicles with good results. Not sure if it would make a noticable difference in this situation (one of the big reasons to use Dynamat is to quiet vibration, which doesn't seem like an issue in this case), but there don't seem to be any drawbacks. I have some leftover I may give a whirl, though I don't foresee using the external speakers much.

I've been questioning, or perhaps stressing over the idea of the case speakers being exposed to rainy weather...

I would think water would degrade or fail the speaker; with that said, where does the rain water drain to?

I feel sure they've probably accounted for that. Doubt they use a paper cone on the woofers. Not sure about the drainage.

I've been questioning, or perhaps stressing over the idea of the case speakers being exposed to rainy weather...

I would think water would degrade or fail the speaker; with that said, where does the rain water drain to?
Don't know the specifics of the R18 speakers, but motorcycles have had speakers since at least the 80s, not to mention boats. Basically a composite cone and stainless for whatever needs corrosion resistance in the electrics, and you're good to go. Cone "should" be all that's exposed anyway.

I want to change the subwoofer out with a three way speaker . That will solve the high speed low volume problem. Someone please let me know what all needed to be done to accomplish this .

I haven't taken a close look at the rear case speaker assembly; but it would be an easy install if you can de-install the existing Marshall speaker and find a suitable replacement that has the same physical dimensions, that meet your desired acoustic needs and matches the amplifier's electrical specifications (impedance wise - it will most likely be a 4 Ohm speaker, but check once you remove the existing OEM speaker).

Choices might be limited as the speakers are exposed to the elements; it might be a marine grade speaker?

Have you tried selecting the "Balanced" sound profile? Or perhaps using the equalizer function and remove the lower frequency response normally associated with the Bass?

Back