Spring Strut Adjustment

2022 R 18 B “spring strut adjustment” fault
Watched YouTube videos for adjustment and discovered the bolt under the seat. Used to make the adjustment in the videos does not exist on my bike. Anybody got any ideas?

Also, what effect does it have at the rear wheel with this fault code if any?

Thank you

The R18B and R18TC have electric adjustment depending on load on bike. No manual adjustment.
There is a potentiometer on the right side of the suspension reporting suspension angle/sag back to the controller for adjustment

Last edited:
Is this automatic and if so, shouldn’t the warning on the TF display clear itself?

Would the spring strut adjustment in anyway change the torque at the rear wheel on the fly?

What about repair manuals and scanning software availability any ideas?
Thanks, Steve

Is this automatic and if so, shouldn’t the warning on the TF display clear itself?

Would the spring strut adjustment in anyway change the torque at the rear wheel on the fly?

What about repair manuals and scanning software availability any ideas?
Thanks, Steve
Yes you have some kind of problem with the rear suspension adjustment. There are no repair manuals available from BMW and I don't know if there will be any after market manuals.
Spring adjustment will affect the stability of the bike in slippery conditions. A softer more compliant ride will reduce wheel spin in poor weather low traction conditions. I understand that the spring rate is adjusted according to the ride mode selected as well as the load on the bike. The power unit software governs the amount of power available at the rear wheel again depending on the ride mode selected.
Maybe the code can be read by a GS911. I don't know for sure, my GS911 is in the mail on its way to me. Maybe someone that has one can tell you.
Other than that take it to the dealer if it has some warranty left on it. First thing I would look at is the feedback potentiometer under the right side panel towards the back edge of the panel you should see it with a linkage attached monitoring the suspension movement. All you can do at this point is a visual inspection without any scanner or data for the pot. It could well be a digital pot too which is harder to diagnose than an analogue pot.
After that it would be the suspension unit or controller which at this point would be a dealer repair.
Without service information it is nigh on impossible to diagnose a problem apart from looking at obvious basic things.
I think these bikes out of warranty could be a money pit without the knowledge that BMW is keeping under wraps.

Thanks and sorry about the late reply. I guess what I need is the best scanner that works with Moto scan for Apple phone. Any suggestions?
Motoscan isn’t available for Apple devices. I had to buy an Amazon fire tablet and side load the files to allow it to run the google store to be able to get and run Motoscan. Tablet cost like $35 bucks.

This is the odb reader I got: https://a.co/d/5LToYGV

Back