Site Glass shows no oil

Ok I just changed the oil and filter on my 18. Replaced with 4 quarts of oil . Rode the bike 10 miles checked site glass on level ground holding the bike straight up. Shows no oil.

Just put your bike back up straight and slowly put in a couple ounces at a time.

Like Jim said, these sight glasses are SLOOOW to respond to oil level changes. It will likely take 10-20 seconds from pour to response of the sight glass, hence doing a slow pour of a bit at a time.

Mike

What others said....stabilize the bike vertically and wait....you will see it slowly rise in the window.....takes a while, especially when back from a ride or a drain and new fill. Patience.

One other thing:

Fresh oil, if filled to the very top of the sight glass, will make it look like there's no oil, as the oil is semi-clear (light amber color).

Double-check that you didn't overfill by putting your bike on its sidestand, then slowly and carefully, tip it upwards while observing the sight glass.

Mike

One other thing:

Fresh oil, if filled to the very top of the sight glass, will make it look like there's no oil, as the oil is semi-clear (light amber color).

Double-check that you didn't overfill by putting your bike on its sidestand, then slowly and carefully, tip it upwards while observing the sight glass.

Mike
Very good point 🍻

One other thing:

Mike

Excellent point, I've measured my fluids carefully during maintenance intervals as per the owners manual; I only use the viewing window to verify the levels over the riding season.

Maybe consider draining the oil again and capture it through a screen, where you can reuse it; as well as, measure it if you think there's a chance that you overfilled the engine case.

When my R18 had 1 mile on it, I checked the site glass and saw oil just reaching the bottom of the circle . Added 1/2 quart which raised the level to mid circle. This is my reference; 1/2 quart = 1/2 circle

Back