Russell seat is indeed Day-Long

• Thread starter Deleted member 1344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1344

The Russell seat is contoured to fit your buttocks with even support everywhere. I lowered the backrest another 2 inches from what is shown in the pic. The backrest has 3 way adjustment....up/down....forward/back....tilt. It took 100 days wait to get my seat done as they are swamped with work.
seat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks awesome. So it sounds like it's really comfortable? I called them last week, they said they are 100 days out. Might have to pull the trigger 🤔

Yes, I waited 100 days from the day I pulled the trigger. Their seats are a bit wider providing support all the way around the buttocks. The seat will have a slight pocket so there is no sliding around.
The only thing I would pay attention to is how far forward you want to sit. If you are tall with long arms, the pocket can be further back. The handle bars on the R18B and R18TC don’t reach back very far so if you are short, the pocket needs to be forward.
The way Russell gets this right is from the two profile pics you send them of you on the bike.

For those of you thinking about the Russell seat.... you will sit about a half inch higher after the modification. That doesn't seem like much but it lengthens the reach to the handle bars just a tad. You will want the pocket to be just a hair further forward because of that. Russell gets this right based on two side view photographs of you sitting on the bike. They won't fix your seat until you submit the pictures of you on the bike.

I've always purchased off-the-shelf seats, but kinda intrigued by this. (Partly because I no longer ride year round, partly because there aren't many R18B/TC options yet) I have a couple of questions...

1) Any reports on passenger comfort? The stock R18B "high" seat seems pretty fine for me (only done about 150 miles in a day on it so far though), but ultimately passenger comfort is probably the bigger issue.
2) Is the back rest removable? Honestly not sure if the way I sit on the bike would have my back really hitting it anyway, and would prefer a cleaner look unless I'm knocking out serious miles.

The backrest slides out forward. Removal time is about 1 sec. :)
I’m planning to get the chrome Heli-bars eventually. These bars reach back further making the backrest more relevant.
Very few BMW bikes need a backrest due to the slight forward lean. The R1200c is an exception.

The backrest slides out forward. Removal time is about 1 sec. :)
I’m planning to get the chrome Heli-bars eventually. These bars reach back further making the backrest more relevant.
Very few BMW bikes need a backrest due to the slight forward lean. The R1200c is an exception.
Cool, yea judging by the "dish" on most of their seats, I'm not sure if the backrest is really necessary, and I'm sure you could get it at a later date if it seemed necessary. I liked the TC seat (especially for the passenger hot buns), but only tested it, so no idea if it's that much better than that B high seat.

You posted a timeline, but want to confirm. You basically place an order, wait 90-100 days depends on their backlog, THEN mail them your seat and it's gone for a couple of weeks? If that's the case, not too bad (and kind of the time to do it with the first freeze coming this week), but being out of a seat for 4 months sounds miserable lol.

When I placed the order with Russell, there were questions I wasn't sure about so I emailed "Jay". Once I got the gist of what they wanted, I was good to go.
IMPORTANT.... I told them not to make any alterations to the passenger seat. The stock passenger R18TC seat is well designed by BMW for your baby doll hot buns. If she is riding behind you often, DONT use a backrest. Our bikes have great optics, but the real stunner is having sweetie on the back.

When I placed the order with Russell, there were questions I wasn't sure about so I emailed "Jay". Once I got the gist of what they wanted, I was good to go.
IMPORTANT.... I told them not to make any alterations to the passenger seat. The stock passenger R18TC seat is well designed by BMW for your baby doll hot buns. If she is riding behind you often, DONT use a backrest. Our bikes have great optics, but the real stunner is having sweetie on the back.
Pictures please with the Sweetie on the back

I have an R18B, not TC. Have a sissy bar ordered from RoadStyler, but they estimated 6 weeks until shipping (about 4 weeks ago). I'd probably order the seat and wait on the front seat back rest anyway honestly.

Back