• Welcome to the BMW R18 Forums. Member registration disables ads and allows you to post and share. Register Here.

Re Map

• <i class="fa--xf fal fa-check "><svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" role="img" aria-hidden="true" ><use href="/data/local/icons/light.svg?v=1721426549#check"></use></svg></i> Discussion starter Discussion starter Randy Kahn
  • Start date Start date

Randy Kahn

Bike
2023 R18 100 year anniversary edition
Question for the guys that used the Bren tune remap: Which is the only one I know of.
Did all of you that installed the Bren tune also swap out the factory air filter and assembly? I guess the question really is, do I HAVE to screw around with the air filter if I do the re map? Or can I leave it?
One of the members has made some very good points about how the factory techs go through great pains in designing the air flow component to these bikes among other things.

BMWs are not like Harley's where the whole idea when they sell you a bike is for you to spend a fortune upgrading it which is why they have a Manhattan phonebook full of upgrades in addition to other after market suppliers.

Don’t have to. Bren will ask you what you have done and supply a tune for your conditions. I am lot sure how different their tunes are, but as far as you been worried about the air box, don’t.

The factory engineers do design well, yet they design around the environmental and aesthetic constraints they are given. As an example, factory Air/fuel ratio is not designed for highest performance.

I think I mentioned that the only qualification required for the airbox swap is to be able to use a wrench.

All in good fun when aI say that in the time you have spent hand wringing over this could have done it a couple times.

Don’t have to. Bren will ask you what you have done and supply a tune for your conditions. I am lot sure how different their tunes are, but as far as you been worried about the air box, don’t.

The factory engineers do design well, yet they design around the environmental and aesthetic constraints they are given. As an example, factory Air/fuel ratio is not designed for highest performance.

I think I mentioned that the only qualification required for the airbox swap is to be able to use a wrench.

All in good fun when aI say that in the time you have spent hand wringing over this could have done it a couple times.
OK, but should I do it or leave it? The airbox/ filter....

OK, but should I do it or leave it? The airbox/ filter....
Personally I am a fan of doing things once. Other people are different.

Do the airbox and what ever else you want on the exhaust side. When done contact Bren and plug it in.

Bada bing bada boom. Fun.

Did the tune and the air filter in one go as I knew I wouldn’t be able to resist leaving the air filter question unanswered.

As others have said, not a required mod to go along with the tune, but an easy mod if you can turn a screw. No regrets after about 1200 miles now.

Did the tune and the air filter in one go as I knew I wouldn’t be able to resist leaving the air filter question unanswered.

As others have said, not a required mod to go along with the tune, but an easy mod if you can turn a screw. No regrets after about 1200 miles now.
And what do you notice with the re map?
Thanks.

And what do you notice with the re map?
Thanks.
The throttle is super smooth and easier to do slow moves with a feathered clutch. Power delivery seems immediate with no sluggish spots.

Worth the money? eh, if you’ve got it, sure. It’s not a night and day wake up, but it’s a noticeable refinement that I’m pleased with.

For me with the cats, flappers gone,the airbox done and the tune, the ride has gone from fun to downright engaging.
What all was involved in this work? All new pipes to remove the cats and flaps?

What all was involved in this work? All new pipes to remove the cats and flaps?
Look under the exhaust thread for cat removal. Or google it. Cut a flap in the exhaust, dig out the cat, weld back up. Flapper removal is also discussed to death here somewhere. Dont recommend drilling out the baffle.

Back