R18 Spline Lube?

LCRC18B

Does anyone have any tips on how to add some appropriate lubricant to the drive shaft splines on the R18 B? It's a common maintenance item on the GS and othe bikes. Ours doesn't have the single sided swing arm with the boot.

To lube the splines on the R1200c the frame had to be split. It was a big mess job and one I never had to do. There were discussions for years about how bad the splines needed a re-lube. Some said the deciding factor was whether built in Mexico or Berlin.

It seems to me that BMW would now have an error proof formula for lifetime spline lube on a bike built in 2020 and later. Hopefully the sliding spline contact surface is long enough to prevent shear.

To lube the splines on the R1200c the frame had to be split. It was a big mess job and one I never had to do. There were discussions for years about how bad the splines needed a re-lube. Some said the deciding factor was whether built in Mexico or Berlin.

It seems to me that BMW would now have an error proof formula for lifetime spline lube on a bike built in 2020 and later. Hopefully the sliding spline contact surface is long enough to prevent shear.

Hopefully it's not that bad. If it is, I'll have to roll the dice (and not do it). No way am I going to do a huge job for preventative maintenance. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Hopefully it's not that bad. If it is, I'll have to roll the dice (and not do it). No way am I going to do a huge job for preventative maintenance. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
I read a post not so long ago that the dealers were doing a preventative spline lube gratis as some may have been insufficiently coated when assembled. Regardless, the final drive is nothing like the old c and the shaft maintenance challenge it had is no more.

Back