R18 Fuel Tank Removal/ Install Procedure

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I'm looking for anyones guidance what may know the best way to remove/ reinstall the R18 fuel tank.

On the weekend I managed to break the fuel line quick connect attached to the fuel tank. Part
16 14 9 444 697​
ANGLE CONNECTOR​
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=61577&rnd=09082020 (<- no association, just the first place I found with the schematics)

I've ordered it from my local dealer (Autoclassic Motorrad - Perth) and it arrived today (AUD$93)

I have a plan, but would love to hear if anyone has done this, as I really dont want to break it again.

I'll try and document what I did, for future people!

I managed to do it successfully. I took a fair number of photos...
The new part!
20231107_163414.jpg
The broken connector vs the replacement
20231107_163913.jpg
Broken Part insitu
20231107_163653.jpg
New one fitted
20231107_164120.jpg
For ease I taped the electrical connector roughly in place, as I'd found it didnt want to sit where it should naturally. (the other tape was there to indicate where the rubber buffer was meant to go - this was unnecessary)
20231107_164124.jpg
I used a block of wood at the seat end and also disconnected the fuel line from the engine side to give more freedom of movement
*** It's important to note that the fuel line between the Tank and the engine is held captive by a rigid line - (Brake or clutch) so you cant just undo the engine side if taking the tank off
20231107_164546.jpg
I secured the tank by the two bolts at the headstock, with the seat end propped up to facilitate space and ease to connect the fuel line to the tank spiggot
20231107_164840.jpg
I then took the wood spacer out and slowly eased the tank into position and guided the engine side disconnect into place
20231107_165334.jpg
Finally then connecting the electical plug on the other side.
20231107_165653.jpg

Obviously i fitted the remaining bolts, ensuring tightness, and she started first try.

Hope this might help someone, someday.

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed instructions. I am sure it may help someone one day.
Not that it is my business but what was you trying to do initially that led you to breaking the connector?

I managed to do it successfully. I took a fair number of photos...
The new part!
View attachment 12182
The broken connector vs the replacement
View attachment 12183
Broken Part insitu
View attachment 12184
New one fitted
View attachment 12185
For ease I taped the electrical connector roughly in place, as I'd found it didnt want to sit where it should naturally. (the other tape was there to indicate where the rubber buffer was meant to go - this was unnecessary)
View attachment 12186
I used a block of wood at the seat end and also disconnected the fuel line from the engine side to give more freedom of movement
View attachment 12187
I secured the tank by the two bolts at the headstock, with the seat end propped up to facilitate space and ease to connect the fuel line to the tank spiggot
View attachment 12188
I then took the wood spacer out and slowly eased the tank into position and guided the engine side disconnect into place
View attachment 12189
Finally then connecting the electical plug on the other side.
View attachment 12190

Obviously i fitted the remaining bolts, ensuring tightness, and she started first try.

Hope this might help someone, someday.
Hi how did the connector get broken 🙃

@Anibal & @Alan neill - I was running a power cable up to the quad lock wireless charger on the handlebars... and when I put the tank back it was a couple of inches further down from the headstock, I didnt realise the fuel line is super rigid... and so it snapped it off.

Complete muppet/ rookie move... :) I'd owned her all of 3 days....

@Anibal & @Alan neill - I was running a power cable up to the quad lock wireless charger on the handlebars... and when I put the tank back it was a couple of inches further down from the headstock, I didnt realise the fuel line is super rigid... and so it snapped it off.

Thank you. It could have happened to anyone. Main thing now is that you have sorted it and helped everyone with the knowledge. Good stuff 👊

Thanks for passing that on I will watch out for that cheers mate 👍

I've just woken and reread the comments... and realised i didnt add the fact the fuel line is captive on the spine/ frame. I added the following to the appropriate picture

*** Its important to note that the fuel line between the Tank and the engine is captive by a rigid line - (Brake or clutch) so you cant just undo the engine side!

Back