R18 first edition steering damper

Orac

Hello I’m a new member my first discussion, I have installed bar risers and they put the bars exactly where I need them but now it has effected the steering of the bike , it’s ok but the stability is compromised, so rather than take the riser off I would like to try out a steering damper , but after much research and talking directly to BMW Australia they don’t make them to fit the first edition, and from what I can read on this site the consensus appears to be the BMW ones are not that great anyway. So after all that my question is is there a steering damper available for the first edition , and mabie a aftermarket one that is effective. And yes the roads I go down are rough and I am fitting a large windshield for long trips and I live a very windy place - all red cards for bike wobble . Cheers Orac

Morning Orac. Mine is an early one. I’ve never had opportunity to compare side by side but from photographs I can see the way the front brake lines are routed on mine, to the ‘later’ bikes such as say…..the 100year anniversary model, is quite different. The brake lines are attached to the underside of my bottom yoke, and are very ‘neat’ hidden from sight behind the forks, on later bikes they attach to the frame under the headstock and splay out a lot more. No idea why, must be a reason. Maybe the early bikes cannot take a damper? Maybe that’s the reason. It’s never once crossed my mind though that it needs one, arrow straight no matter what. Maybe a steering damper is a standard fixing on the Classic because that comes with the big screen? Someone on here will know. Good luck with your quest.

Morning Orac. Mine is an early one. I’ve never had opportunity to compare side by side but from photographs I can see the way the front brake lines are routed on mine, to the ‘later’ bikes such as say…..the 100year anniversary model, is quite different. The brake lines are attached to the underside of my bottom yoke, and are very ‘neat’ hidden from sight behind the forks, on later bikes they attach to the frame under the headstock and splay out a lot more. No idea why, must be a reason. Maybe the early bikes cannot take a damper? Maybe that’s the reason. It’s never once crossed my mind though that it needs one, arrow straight no matter what. Maybe a steering damper is a standard fixing on the Classic because that comes with the big screen? Someone on here will know. Good luck with your quest.

Thank you Rufus, information is king, I’m sure someone has given it go maybe I will get lucky and won’t be the first to modify a first edition with a damper. Cheers orac.

This is an image of the oem steering dampener bits.... I'm assuming you have a 2020 FE that came without cruise control (was normal in Aussie) anyway YSS do generic kits ( maybe talk to suspensions R Us in Melbourne).... I included the drawing so. you could see if part 6 and 7 might mount on your bike etc. Fwiw.... I live just down the creek from you. My march 21 build FE came with cruise and as such had a dampener.
I can take a photo to show where/how mine fits tomorrow.

e408c0b76dc35c4471ceeb3050fcc869.png

Heres a link to the part numbers... it's US based but should help..... https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/v-2021-bmw-motorrad-r-18--base--r/steering--steering-damper

Last edited:
Noelpolar you are a legend, I will fully check this out it’s been like searching for the lost ark of BMW. And Cracker detail thank you . Cheers Orac.

Laennecr thank you I will look at the specs . this forums members are brilliant the BMW ownership experience is unlike anything I’ve experienced before what a community and yes what a bike

Back