R18 Classic Gas Tank Question

Hello Gents. This is my first post on this forum. I've been riding bikes for over 55 years. Have had a score-plus of bikes and nearly a quarter of a million miles in the saddle. I've never owned a Beemer, but I really love the looks of the R18 Classic. There are a ton of ridiculous deals on them out there.
Here's my question. Is it possible to put an R18b fuel tank (6.3 gallons) on a Classic? Why BMW would put a 4.2 gallon tank on a bike that has cruise control and light touring potential is beyond my comprehension.
Any insight on this would be appreciated as I am pondering whether I can move from my Street Glide with a 6 gallon tank, to the Classic with it's tiny fuel tank.

I don’t think it is possible. There are many differences between the Classic & Bagger that would make it difficult.
I agree that the tank isn’t great on the Classic but I can squeeze 150-160 miles from mine on my 75 mile commute mainly on motorways cruising at 70mph. I always reset the trip meter at fill ups & the reserve warning usually comes up at around 135 miles. Obviously it all depends on how you ride as to what range you’ll get.
If a bigger tank is so concerning for you why not just get a bagger instead of the Classic? I love my Classic & it suits my needs but if I toured I’d definitely look at the bagger but not only because of the bigger tank. The fairing on the bagger gives a lot more protection than the Classic screen plus the bagger has all the toys!

I agree with the last statement, that it may not fit. I was gambling with the same idea because I think the FE tank is just a little too small. But I was told that the B tank is longer and thus won't fit ... But I would be happy if someone could prove that wrong 😉

No idea about the Classic but here is something I copied time ago, I hope to be of help …

Because I get a lot of inquiries about how I moved the 24L tank from the Bagger model to the R18FE, I decided to write a list of necessary modifications
Adaptation of the 24L tank from the R18 Bagger model for the R18 FE / Pure or R18 Classic

list of needed parts:

- 24L tank (BMW) - internal components of the tank match 1:1 with the 16L tank
but I recommend installing them at an authorized BMW service center so as not to void the warranty
- the front mount should be cut because it is too long and drill 2-4 holes in it to connect with screws to the front adapter of the R18FE/Pure/Classic frame
- front adapter (prod. HOLAN)
- silver insulating mats (manufactured by BMW)
- 2 shock-absorbing rubbers (manufactured by BMW) for the Bagger frame (they need to be slightly modified because the frame under the tank in the Bagger mod is rectangular and round in the R18FE/Pure/Classic
- rear adapter (prod. HOLAN)

additional remarks:
- I do not know if the original plastic panel on top of the tank from the mods. Bagger will fit - probably NOT because there is another mounting point by the seat - I put on a leather belt with a metal element in the Heritage style (prod. HOLAN)
- I also recommend extending the upper fuel line to about 2 cm longer so that it is not so tight

Back