Potential mods...

theMucker

Premium Member
Most new owners of the R18 probably aren't yet considering getting inside the Big Boxer engine, but I can't help but wonder what the potentials are. After all, the magazines and ad copy all talks about how BMW designed the R18 to be especially customizable. Naturally, most of what they're suggesting is that it is supposed to be easy to change handlebars, exhausts and other simple "bolt on" stuff.

But I want to know if the cylinders are all-aluminum or do they have iron sleeves. Most likely, they are entirely aluminum, with hard plating (commonly called Nikasil). Plated aluminum cylinders cool much better than iron sleeved cylinders, cost less to produce and have better anti-wear characteristics. And, as long as there is sufficient material thickness in the lower protruding "sleeve", they can still be bored out & replated for bigger pistons. I've read that the piston tops are "dished", such that they contain part of or most of the combustion chamber. I'll bet that there's plenty of room there to increase the compression ratio. How's a 2-liter boxer with 135 lb/ft or torque sound? The very thought makes my mouth water!

I expect that there will eventually be higher performing cams available. Changing the way the engine breathes, by swapping cams, will require altered fuel injection and (possibly) ignition tuning. Will the OEM CPU/ECU be tuneable with software? For that matter, did BMW design tuneability in the "computer(s)"?

I know that a lot, maybe even MOST of you are already wondering what's wrong with me. The R18 is a NEW motorcycle, so why would anyone already be thinking this way? The answer is: because that's the way I'm wired and I've been building high performance motorcycles for decades. Getting to know a new engine in it's most intimate details and then finding it's greater potential is nirvana!

I have been considering what my R18 may need. Besides the potential for either a modified OEM pair of fish-tail mufflers or a pair of modern "pea shooter" mufflers (if possible), I'm kicking around swapping the stock handlebar with a "beach-style" wide bar. And maybe also coupling the beach bar with the lower than stock, 1.5" risers. I'm still considering whether the bar and/or risers should be chrome or black. If I do the swap, the wires will have to be routed inside the handlebar, as it is with the stocker. I have noticed that the "custom" examples of the R18, in which several industry personalities rode the R18 in videos on YouTube, had the switch wiring external of the beach and ape hanger handlebars. And the external wiring looks like crapola. I'm still hoping to find out if the BMW accessory handlebars are AT LEAST drilled, even if not pre-wired, for internal wiring. Of course any aftermarket handlebar can be modified (drilled) for internal wiring and if that's what it takes so be it.
Another idea that comes to mind is adding a pair of "passing lamps" alongside the headlamp. Also called "driving lights" or "fog lamps", they add real benefits in night time riding, but, for me, they would just compliment the olde style look of the R18. And with the WIDE engine down below, the added width of the passing lamps would add balance to it's top portion when viewed from behind or in front. The accessory catalog (page 19) does show a variety of windshields and "Auxiliary LED Headlights Bar" but, as usual it doesn't give any useful information in so far as just what you would really be buying. Can the mounting bar be purchased alone or only with the pictured driving lights? Does the "headlights bar" always include the added material that allows the addition of the windshield? Call me picky, but I would like to source the passing lamps from the aftermarket and even then they will be modified to my specifications AND I don't want any extra welded-on bracketry for a windshield. My concept is for a black bracket that will hold a pair of black powdercoated passing lamps, each with a chrome bezel, so the added lamps will look much like the OEM headlight between them.
A major factor in what made me fall in love with the R18 is it's retro pre-1970s look. I want to take what the factory started and finish it.

Back