Personalised Number plates in UK

This post is for UK riders who are stuck with truck size standard license plates.

I was surprised to learn that there are plenty of personalised number plates on offer from DVLA with the 6 digit "R18 XXX" format, all at the lowest possible price of £250 (including government fees). As far as I understand they are legally suitable for 8x6 license plates. Maybe this is a well-known fact and a surprise only for me, but just in case

Hi Mr Si. Private plates are very ‘Marmite’, if you’ve not heard that expression it means very polar in opinion. You either like them or you don’t, with no middle ground. They tended to be on the more expensive and high end cars (over here) and that can compliment a vehicle especially if it’s a nice classic (for example) but also depending upon the manner of driving when you see it can illicit the exact opposite feeling, rhymes with banker 🤬. That’s the trouble, if it bothers you at all. At least the R18 has some size to it so the lorry sized plate looks less conspicuous.

Hi Mr Si. Private plates are very ‘Marmite’, if you’ve not heard that expression it means very polar in opinion. You either like them or you don’t, with no middle ground. They tended to be on the more expensive and high end cars (over here) and that can compliment a vehicle especially if it’s a nice classic (for example) but also depending upon the manner of driving when you see it can illicit the exact opposite feeling, rhymes with banker 🤬. That’s the trouble, if it bothers you at all. At least the R18 has some size to it so the lorry sized plate looks less conspicuous.
Hello! I agree with this. Never used private numbers on my cars but always used 6 digit numbers on bikes for the reason described above. So if I have to buy a private plate anyway, its association with the bike/manufacturer would be a nice touch. Not comfortable to spend big money on plates though, but £250 is reasonable in my opinion.

Back