Odd rear brake pad wear

Dpolo1

My Rear Brake pads have strange wear pattern. I'm thinking the previous owner rode the rear brake. I've never had this happen . 7000 miles.1000001385.jpg

I have seen that before, including my R18 when new....can't explain it, but I believe that is BMW engineering for break-in wear patterns.

I agree with 1911tex .. I have seen this also on my R1200C .. must be an oddity of BMW brakes ... but, thanks for posting that .. It reminded me that I was going to order a spare set of pads. Done now :)

Hi everyone,
This bothered me for a solid week coupled with rear brake squealing. I consequently bothered the dealership about it since bike is still in warranty.

ACTUALLY, after taking it apart and much staring, I discovered that the brake pad is not flush against the rotor towards either edge 😂

It normally just thins toward its outer edges, thats why looking at it from the side it looks like uneven wear. (Insert self deprecating expletives here)

However, It still squeals though after thorough cleaning, but performance not affected.

Hi everyone,
This bothered me for a solid week coupled with rear brake squealing. I consequently bothered the dealership about it since bike is still in warranty.

ACTUALLY, after taking it apart and much staring, I discovered that the brake pad is not flush against the rotor towards either edge 😂

It normally just thins toward its outer edges, thats why looking at it from the side it looks like uneven wear. (Insert self deprecating expletives here)

However, It still squeals though after thorough cleaning, but performance not affected.
Yup my OEM pads squealed as well and it bugs me ... that is the reason I went with EBC pads on the change .. let's see how that works out.

Yup my OEM pads squealed as well and it bugs me ... that is the reason I went with EBC pads on the change .. let's see how that works out.
Curious to know the difference when you try them! I just ordered a set of brembos. For some reason they only ship out of Italy. Will update on squeal once those go in too.

Same here ... I have them on but haven't ridden the bike yet ... but I will a little later today. Cross my fingers that the squeal went away.

When replacing the rear brake pads.... does one go and do several hard "rear brake only" stops to bake/cure the new pads?

Back