OCD Oil Check

My anal-retentiveness brings me to pose this question.

"What is the proper way to check the engine oil level on a R18 Classic?"

Assume that you're solo. Not a soul around for many miles (or kms) to assist you in this process. When deployed, the jiffy stand knock-off provides the bike with a reasonably significant amount of lean angle. There's no center stand. If you level the bike by sitting on it, you certainly can't see the engine oil check window (below the right cylinder).

Are you going to (1) accept the oil level with the jiffy stand lean angle, (2) wait until you have a second set of eyes, (3) buy or borrow a bike lift, or (4) find a piece of wood or stone to precariously place under the jiffy stand?

Last edited:
Way back in the day on my old Bonneville I could get a rough estimate by how much oil was underneath the bike and a secondary indication was how much was on my white socks...

Actually when I took it back to the dealer and asked about the oil leaks, he told me when there wasn't any oil leaks, I needed to add oil...

I take my Beezer to an 80 year old legendary british bike mechanic whenever it needs anything major. I spent a couple weeks trying to chase down an oil leak in my bike, and finally threw up my hands in frustration and took it to Frank. I said "Frank! I gotta get this oil leak stopped!" (mind you, it was like, 8-10 drops of oil a week). He looked at me like I was a retard and he said "Son, this is a 50 year old British motorcycle. The only time it doesn't leak oil is when it ain't got any IN it... But I'll be happy to take your money if you want me to try." :ROFLMAO:

The mirror on a stick is a useful tool in many situations. The one in the pic shown looks like a good choice if the arm will telescope.

Initially, I check the oil as instructed, then I let it cool on the kickstand and check it again. Now I know where the oil should be cold on the kickstand. 🤷🏼‍♂️

BSA: I had a pair decades ago. I named them Cadiz and Valdez.

The mirror on a stick is a useful tool in many situations. The one in the pic shown looks like a good choice if the arm will telescope.
Product description below, it's long enough to see the oil level
window when sat on the bike.
  • 2 LED Telescopic Inspection Mirror
  • Inspection mirror size 42 x 65mm, which can be positioned to any angle.
  • Cushion grip telescopic shaft extends from 290 to 870mm.
  • Two LED's are operated by a simple on/off switch.
  • Supplied with 2pc CR2032 batteries

I Know I'm late but had to answer if you have an engine protection bar and I know you would, just fit your mobile mount on it and start the video then hop on and do your thing
Hope it helped

Back