NHTSA Information regarding adaptive headlight.

I submitted months ago to the NHTSA regarding the adaptive headlight fiasco with the R18. My headlight was already replaced in October under warranty, but it appears BMW is actually going to acknowledge the issue. I'm including a screenshot of an email i received from the NHTSA today. I've not investigated any further.

NHTSA.png

STOP SALE issued today
Makes sense. Can’t sell vehicles under recall until they’re repaired. Wonder how long the wait will be for new delivery. And how long current owners wait for swap units to be available. Would love to get this sorted in the cold months and be ready to roll come spring.

Will this apply to used being sold at the dealership also???
I believe it will if it’s an effected unit (which I assume all VINs with the adaptive light will be). They legally can’t deliver it to you until they fix it under the recall. Private sales obviously wouldn’t be impacted, but since this is a dealer (assuming a BMW dealer also - not sure a non-BMW dealer would have to hold it), you’re stuck in limbo for a bit. Good news is you’ll have the work done when it’s handed over to you.

I believe it will if it’s an effected unit (which I assume all VINs with the adaptive light will be). They legally can’t deliver it to you until they fix it under the recall. Private sales obviously wouldn’t be impacted, but since this is a dealer (assuming a BMW dealer also - not sure a non-BMW dealer would have to hold it), you’re stuck in limbo for a bit. Good news is you’ll have the work done when it’s handed over to you.
Waiting to hear from the BMW dealer today. Was planning on picking up the 2022 BMW R18B tomorrow

Waiting to hear from the BMW dealer today. Was planning on picking up the 2022 BMW R18B tomorrow
I was about to pull the trigger on my ‘23 just ahead of a weekend trip with the fellas when BMW put a stop sale on all their motorcycles. Was in a lurch for a week or so before I was able to take delivery. I know the frustration with the wait, but this is a sweet ride worth a bit a patience. I hope it all goes in your favor!

I was about to pull the trigger on my ‘23 just ahead of a weekend trip with the fellas when BMW put a stop sale on all their motorcycles. Was in a lurch for a week or so before I was able to take delivery. I know the frustration with the wait, but this is a sweet ride worth a bit a patience. I hope it all goes in your favor!
Big JimSlim,
The 2022 that I have a deposit on is part of the stop sale supposedly it’s a software issue.
Have to talk to the BMW Dealership to determine what’s the next step.

Big JimSlim,
The 2022 that I have a deposit on is part of the stop sale supposedly it’s a software issue.
Have to talk to the BMW Dealership to determine what’s the next step.
Software? Hmm. Wonder if that's going to be the "fix" for the adaptive light rather than replacing currently unbroken units.

Software? Hmm. Wonder if that's going to be the "fix" for the adaptive light rather than replacing currently unbroken units.
That is what I thought. Unless the bike needs updating because the latest software has not been installed, then that is another matter. I would have thought the headlight issue the adaptive units are facing is to do with components not being able to withstand the vibrations and failing prematurely.

Software? These lights are *broken* physically.

I guess _maybe_ the software controls the motors in the light and is telling them to move in ways that grind them apart - but that seems like a stretch.

I mean IMO the hardware should not be able to be ripped apart via the software - the software issue should only be able to make the adaptive part behave wonky but not cause the amount of physical plastic breakage that we are seeing in the lights…

Like sure - mess up the alignment maybe - but drive it so hard it shatters?

And then also - if that is the case - how do they inspect people’s units that may be partially damaged, but not catastrophically failed yet - it’s a sealed part.

They simply need to replace every light in use before the fix - otherwise there is no way of knowing when your headlight will fail but odds are it will…

Back