Newby with a Seat problem

skane

Hello to everyone, I bought a 2 nd hand R18 2 weeks ago. It had a measly 460kms on the clock. The original owner just couldn't come to terms with it. I think he had issues with the firm suspension. He went to the expense of buying a Mustang Seat system & only used the rider seat as he bought the bike a single seat bike. (No pillion pegs). I have managed to get the pillion seat (never used) but it looks like there is something missing to enable both rider & pillion seats to be mounted. Is there a bracket or something that allows the back of the riders seat & the front of the pillion seat to be fixed to the mount point?

Welcome. Can’t answer you seat question but seeing as you’ve mentioned firm suspension ……. make sure you adjust the rear pre-load to suit your weight and go through a bit of trial and error to find the ‘sweet’ spot. It does make a big difference (IMHO). Mine is set 7 and 1/4 turns clockwise from base setting, obviously still firm but plush. That’s with the stock seat. With that fancy seat you should have no problems.

I would open it up and check for you but the best way would be to look at the install instructions on BMW`s website. There you might get some detail?

I would open it up and check for you but the best way would be to look at the install instructions on BMW`s website. There you might get some detail?
BMW has install instructions?? I've searched high & low but never seen any technical instructions from BMW on their websites

Welcome. Can’t answer you seat question but seeing as you’ve mentioned firm suspension ……. make sure you adjust the rear pre-load to suit your weight and go through a bit of trial and error to find the ‘sweet’ spot. It does make a big difference (IMHO). Mine is set 7 and 1/4 turns clockwise from base setting, obviously still firm but plush. That’s with the stock seat. With that fancy seat you should have no problems.
I have adjusted for my weight. The first thing I did. I don't have any issues with the "firmness".

Thanks for the tip, I have found an instruction page & can now order the parts in need. Cheers

Hello to everyone, I bought a 2 nd hand R18 2 weeks ago. It had a measly 460kms on the clock. The original owner just couldn't come to terms with it. I think he had issues with the firm suspension. He went to the expense of buying a Mustang Seat system & only used the rider seat as he bought the bike a single seat bike. (No pillion pegs). I have managed to get the pillion seat (never used) but it looks like there is something missing to enable both rider & pillion seats to be mounted. Is there a bracket or something that allows the back of the riders seat & the front of the pillion seat to be fixed to the mount point?
Thanks to everyone for their comments. This issue has been resolved. I managed to get the original parts from the previous owner via my local BMW dealer.

Back