Moto Guzzi V7?

The bike arrived this week and I took advantage of some nice weather today to take it for a spin. My initial reactions are that will be terrific bike for my grandkids and my wife. I'm a bit cramped but still OK at 6'3'.
I will add that this bike has the most comfortable seat I've ever gotten on a new bike. A sub $10K bike that has a seat that puts $30K plus bikes to shame.

69757856629__375CC70A-BF45-4948-8D79-408A1D8C3B27.JPG

That oil stain on the floor reminds me of a couple of my Bonnevilles back in the late 60s/early 70s... :(
I have several projects going on this winter. That oil is from rebuilding the forks on my Roadmaster.
That floor will get a good scrub down this spring.

My 2 cents.....In 1982 I bought a new Honda CX500 Custom. It had the Motoguzzi style cylinders poking out at 45 degrees with a drive shaft. I thought the bike was so cool compared to the Honda 350cc twins that seemed to be everywhere. Funny thing, the CX500 Custom had a very short stroke but was smooth as ice at any rpm.

My 2 cents.....In 1982 I bought a new Honda CX500 Custom. It had the Motoguzzi style cylinders poking out at 45 degrees with a drive shaft. I thought the bike was so cool compared to the Honda 350cc twins that seemed to be everywhere. Funny thing, the CX500 Custom had a very short stroke but was smooth as ice at any rpm.
I must have watch 50 YouTube videos before I decided to buy without a test ride. Most of the comments were from European and U.K. riders. I’m guessing they ride more smooth running sport bikes over there because there were many comments about transverse motor being a little rough under 3K rpm. I didn’t notice anything that would make me think to say that. It felt great in the short ride I took keeping it under 4,500 rpm.

I must have watch 50 YouTube videos before I decided to buy without a test ride. Most of the comments were from European and U.K. riders. I’m guessing they ride more smooth running sport bikes over there because there were many comments about transverse motor being a little rough under 3K rpm. I didn’t notice anything that would make me think to say that. It felt great in the short ride I took keeping it under 4,500 rpm.
The engine/transmission is a peach (IMHO) and I have no complaints whatsoever. I’ve no doubt seen the same reviews as you and there were one or two where I raised an eyebrow too. Not unlike some Youtubers who’ve moaned about the R18 vibes 🤷‍♂️. Anyhow. Agree on the comfort, it is a very comfortable bike and effortless to ride. Can’t speak of Europe but I would say here in the UK, trad big twins ( i.e.HD ) are more common than they used to be but still nowhere near as mainstream as you in America, the inline 4 was probably the most popular type (in sports bikes) for decades but of course one of the joys of having all these different makes/ models is they all feel different. Something for everyone (well for now anyway…..)

227561E6-C801-4784-BE5D-2C74DF8363CB.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome choice!, and the only bike easier to work on than a BMW "R". I like the new "small blocks" and I would have grabbed one of the 850 V85 models to replace my Stelvio, but while I still do most of my own work I was not willing to drive out of state by many miles if and when warranty work may be needed. We had great, long time dealer choices evaporate in our area like much of the country saw, but if I had one nearby like you have I would have gone for the goose rather my F850GS in 2019. Rufus offered some great info and Adventure Rider has a great bunch of info too.

🍻 🍻1676516390690.jpeg

Last edited:
Love black bikes, I just pulled the trigger on a '22 Rocket3 GT
Before my riding days are done I hope to ride a rocket 3. I just don’t know what a 3-cylinder motor is like.

Awesome choice!, and the only bike easier to work on than a BMW "R". I like the new "small blocks" and I would have grabbed one of the 850 V85 models to replace my Stelvio, but while I still do most of my own work I was not willing to drive out of state by many miles if and when warranty work may be needed. We had great, long time dealer choices evaporate in our area like much of the country saw, but if I had one nearby like you have I would have gone for the goose rather my F850GS in 2019. Rufus offered some great info and Adventure Rider has a great bunch of info too.

🍻 🍻View attachment 9040
I have the selling dealer 108 miles to the south in Illinois and another 50 miles west in Madison WI. There is a small import dealership that sells Vespa scooters and used vehicles a few miles down the road from me. They are listed as a service center on the Moto Guzzi home page.
It sounds like I need to take it into the dealership for the first service after 900 miles and they reflash the ECU. I’ll have to find out if the local shop is capable of performing that service.

Before my riding days are done I hope to ride a rocket 3. I just don’t know what a 3-cylinder motor is like.
If you ride a Rocket 3, you'll want to buy one. That's how I wound up with the 5 of them I currently have... The newest is a Rocket 3 GT and is a major upgrade to the first generation Rocket 3 models which were already incredible... (y)

My Rocket 3 Touring is the only bike I have that isn't black. Over the years, almost everyone of my bikes were black when I bought them or were painted black shortly thereafter...

If you ride a Rocket 3, you'll want to buy one. That's how I wound up with the 5 of them I currently have... The newest is a Rocket 3 GT and is a major upgrade to the first generation Rocket 3 models which were already incredible... (y)

My Rocket 3 Touring is the only bike I have that isn't black. Over the years, almost everyone of my bikes were black when I bought them or were painted black shortly thereafter...

There's some serious riding fun in your stable! With your 2020 Rocket 3 GT have you by chance ridden with the intent to establish "best MPGs" you could reasonably count on if riding in areas where service stations are far and few between?

My Rocket 3 GT is currently essentially stock and has a smaller gas tank than my first generation Rocket 3 models which all have custom performance maps. On the GT I usually need to think about gas by the 120 mile mark which is probably in the low-30s mpg range depending on the ride. I tend to ride it quite a bit more aggressively than my other Rockets so the MPG is lower and I'm okay with that since I usually only do shorter rides up to 150 miles on it. Fortunately where I live and ride that bike gas stations are readily available.

Besides the extra power of the 2500cc engine, it weighs 88 pounds less than the first generation Rockets and the new suspension significantly increased the handling. I really do LOVE that bike but I guess I say that about many of my other bikes as well... :unsure:

Last edited:
Back